Chapter Three | Like A K-Drama

Fan Hai passed through the doors of the pavilion with steady steps while thinking about the things he would ask his mother. He was planning on asking about Father as well as the reason why she didn't come to his room. But those thoughts were disregarded as soon as he laid eyes on her tired face.

Fan Yue was in a petal pink robe with her hair cascading down her back like a silky waterfall. With a teacup in hand, she sat right in the middle of her wide courtyard; staring wistfully at the rising steam. In deep thought, she didn't even notice Fan Hai enter even though she had given her permission just a few moments ago. The dark circles under her eyes didn't escape Fan Hai's keen eyes.

After mentally berating himself for being insensitive, he put on the smile he knows his mother liked and pressed the furrow between her slender eyebrows while chuckling, "Don't frown like that, Mother. You'll get wrinkles."

Fan Yue's eyes shifted and settled on his smiling face and her eyes visibly lit up, "Hai'er," she pulled him close to press a soft kiss on his forehead and laughingly said, "I won't do that now, your mother will always remain pretty."

Fan Hai smiled and took a seat next to her, "Of course. Mother will always be the prettiest."

Fan Yue's eyes turned into smiling crescents and she laughed delightedly, "When you get a wife, you won't say that."

Fan Hai's lips turned into a frown and he denied his mother's words, "I don't want a wife. You will always be the prettiest to me, Mother."

Fan Yue brought her hand to her face and covered her mouth with the long sleeve, laughing, "My dear son, you will have a wife someday."

He frowned again. But before he could deny it again, his mother spoke, "But you would never be able to get a wife if you look like that."

He looked at his Mother's amused gaze and felt puzzled. He looked down at his night robes and asked, "What's wrong with it?"

Fan Yue grabbed his chubby cheeks and pulled while instructing, "Everything, my dear. Make sure you're properly dressed before leaving your courtyard."

Fan Hai winced, "Ow, ow, Mother please!" He wiggled away and gritted out with swollen cheeks, "I will dress properly before coming."

Fan Your nodded and called a servant. A girl in her late teens came closer and bowed, "What can this servant get for your ladyship?"

Fan Yue smiled, "No need to be so formal, Quing." the maidservant nodded, "Do you remember the clothes that came yesterday from Master Gou? Bring the blue one over."

Quing bowed and turned to enter an adjacent courtyard to look for the clothes Fan Yue ordered her to bring. Fan Yue turned and reached to pinch Fan Hai's cheeks again but he shielded it and dodged, making Fan Yue laugh again.

"Have you used a tooth-stick, yet?" Fan Yue inquired as she picked up her teacup to take a sip. Her eyes scanned her son's face.

Very naturally, Fan Hai nodded, "Of course, Mother. I never forget to clean my teeth." he hadn't, of course, but he was a natural at lying. He didn't feel guilty about it since it was harmless.

His mother nodded, feeling satisfied, "Then would you like to have some tea? It's delicious," with a straight face, he looked at the cup she had in her hand and nodded. He disliked teas, but since his mother was so eager to make him taste it, he would comply. She continued, "the Empress bestowed it to me. She liked the poem I wrote on her ducks."

"It was very thought-provoking, Mother. Of course, she would like it." It was a habit of his to praise his Mother whenever he could. Fan Yue laughed again and poured a cup of steaming hot tea for him. Fan Hai took a sip, but he couldn't spot the difference form the usual teas he tasted during different ceremonies. He still found them distasteful.