1. One Thousand Years, Part One

1.8.18th Year of the JinLong Emperor

                               Yi-Wei (Year of the Wooden Goat)

Three months earlier:

"MingYue Wangzi*? Mingyue Wangzi!" Neili shouted. He raced down the alleyways of the Palace of Lunar Serenity in search of his prince. Where could he have gone?

The boy stopped to catch a breath, leaning his hand against the winding trunk of a tree. He cursed silently. Why did the prince always cause him so much trouble? He always ran off like this whenever he got the chance!

"Wu Xiansheng* is going to kill me!" he groaned.

Sure enough, from the shadows of the terrace a man with a shaved head stepped forth, hand resting over his sheathed sword, just as it always was, as if he were prepared to strike at any moment

Sure enough, from the shadows of the terrace a man with a shaved head stepped forth, hand resting over his sheathed sword, just as it always was, as if he were prepared to strike at any moment. With his long, silky white robes contrasting with his dark complexion, Olekina, courtesy name* Wu XiWei, certainly stood out from most of the other palace servants and guards. Neili didn't understand why he could never spot the man first.

"Shan WenHe..." Olekina addressed Neili by his courtesy name. He didn't need to say anything more. One look into his eyes was more terrifying than any scolding he could receive from his superiors.

Wu Xiansheng, how can your say so much while your tongue speaks so little? he wondered to himself

"Wu Xiansheng!" he straightened up and bowed his head respectfully to the guard. "Forgive me, Wu Xiansheng!"

Olekina's face remained expressionless as he looked down over the boy. After a few moments he pointed to his right. "The prince went that way."

Neili's eyes flicked in that direction. "The Middle Palaces*? Thank you, Wu Xiansheng! I promise I'll get him back here immediately!"

Olekina said nothing, his eyes following the smaller boy as he hurried off to find the prince.

                                                               ***