2. One Thousand Years, Part Two

1.8.18th Year of the JinLong Emperor

                           Yi-Wei (Year of the Wooden Goat)

"MingYue Wangzi? MingYue Wangzi!" Neili called out frantically. As soon as he had spotted the prince standing aimlessly in the garden, he hurried over. "MingYue Wangzi, why did you run off on me!" He rested his hands on his knees, panting for a breath.

"Hmm?" Qian MingYue turned to the young servant, seeming to notice him for the first time. He had been staring in the direction that those foreigners had gone in for a while now, mesmerized as if he were lost in a trance. With Neili's arrival, he became refocused. "Neili Huanguan*, why are you yelling so loudly?"

Neili looked up at his prince with annoyance, but didn't dare to speak back to him

Neili looked up at his prince with annoyance, but didn't dare to speak back to him. "MingYue Wangzi, your lessons with Zhang Laoshi* begin in less than a ke*! If you are late, I will be at fault!"

"Mmn..." Qian MingYue nodded, but didn't seem to be listening. "Neili Huanguan, have any foreigners arrived at the palace recently?"

Neili seemed to be getting antsy. "Dianxia*, I overheard that an envoy arrived at the Imperial Palace last night."

"From where?"

"Sailing south from the Keliyete Khanate."

"Hmm." Qian MingYue nodded. "He is a Semu* then."

Neili became flustered. "Dianxia...did you encounter someone?!"

Qian MingYue turned to the young servant

Qian MingYue turned to the young servant. "A boy. His eyes were as green as the Jade Palace – "

Neili silenced him with a gasp. "Dianxia! You can't be mingling with foreigners! Especially not before he has been formally received at the Hall of Harmony by the emperor!" He groaned. "Wu Xiansheng and Nan Guniang* will kill me if they find out! MingYue Wangzi, you really create a lot of trouble for me!" 

Qian MingYue smiled slightly.

Neili bowed his head quickly. "Dianxia, enough talking! We have to hurry back or you will miss your classes!"

"Yes. Sorry, Neili."

Neili sighed dramatically. "And stop calling me by my birthname! What will others think? Its embarrassing! You should call me by my courtesy name, WenHe.*"