Chapter 48

"What do you wanna do babe?" Jasper asked softly. We've been laying in this hammock for a few hours, just enjoying the peaceful silence. This was something we hadn't had in months. Granted Jasper had up and left a few weeks ago and there was Bella and Edward's wedding and the birth of their daughter before that.

But I've missed it. I've missed having time to just lay with Jasper and not have to worry about anything. I've missed just being able to lay with him and admire him. His beautiful, long blonde hair. His gorgeous amber eyes that shifted colors depending on the lighting. His strong jawline that carved his perfect face out gorgeously. The way his skin glistened in his sun always amazed me. I could sit with him and trace over the millions of scars from his years with Maria for hours on end. The scars appeared like melted skin. They didn't glisten in the sun like the rest of his skin.

"Baby girl," Jasper said.

"Hmm," I responded, looking at him as he drew my attention away from his bare chest.

"I asked you a question doll," he said.

"Oh, um, I don't know," I said. "We could play chess."

"Do you remember how?" He asked.

"Yeah, of course," I said, smiling at him. We headed inside to where a glass chess set was sitting on a small circular table.

"Ladies first," Jasper said, smirking at me. He was using that dumb accent to try to distract me.

"Wanna play for stakes?" I asked.

"Like what?" He asked. I was tempted to make it sexual, but he wouldn't play any games for sexual stakes. He always feels like the loser can't give full consent if they lost a bet on a game or something like that because they always feel obligated to pay up.

"You chose," I said.

"Well, we had that dispute over which song to play for our first dance earlier. If you win, we'll dance to 'Thinking Out Loud', and if I win, we'll dance to 'Can't Take My Eyes Off of You'. Sound fair?" He asked.

"Sounds fair to me," I said.

"Alright ladies first," he said, motioning to the board yet again. I'd played him in chess enough times to know he has a strategy. Luckily for me, my moves are always random, but they always counteract his moves before they can happen.

Within four moves he seemed completely frustrated and was trying to use his powers to distract me. He'd cause my emotions to manipulate my train of thought so that everytime he made a move I thought it was good.

"Stop cheating," I said. I was so close to winning that I just needed a maybe two more moves.

"What on Earth are the two of you doing?" Alice yelled as she made her way into the treehouse.

"Playing chess," I said.

"You can't stake your first dance song on a game of chess," she said.

"You can't. We can," Jasper said.

"Besides, we'll have more weddings in the future Alice," I said.

"Why're you two doing this?" She asked.

"We wanted to play for stakes," I said.

"So bet sexual offers like Rose and Emmett. Don't bet your first dance song on a game of chess," Alice said.

"Alice, it's totally fine," I said.

"Alice, you have nothing to worry about," Jasper said.

"You're going to ruin your wedding," she said and stormed off.

"We aren't ruining anything," I said, moving one of my pieces. "Check."

"Fair enough," Jasper said, moving his Queen to take out the piece I had previously moved.

"Bad choice," I said, taking his Queen with ease.

"Maybe I'm trying to lose," he said.

"No you aren't. Three moves ago you were cheating," I said.

"Touche," he responded. "Checkmate."

"Fine, we will dance to 'Can't Take My Eyes Off of You'," I said. "It's totally fine. That song isn't that bad anyways."