Chapter 6

"But seriously?" Elena asked Kayden. Laelynn now had an official escort from science, and they were all lucky enough to have science class two days in a row. While Laelynn loved the subject, the teacher obviously didn't - and that made class unbearable.

"Who the hell says 'kind of' when someone asks them if they're British or not?" Elena continued in her regular dramatic flair. Kayden raised his hands as if to say 'what are you talking about?'

"And who smirks at a teacher?"

"Uh, I said it cause its true, smart one. You of all people should know that." Kayden said placing his hands on his hips.

"But that's exactly it! It's not that true. You could just say you're British! You were born in England. Therefore, you are British. And even if it was true that you're "kind of" British, that doesn't make it any less a stupid response," Elena retorted, crossing her arms across her chest. Laelynn hated to interrupt their entertaining banter, but she was really curious now.

"You still haven't explained to me what you meant by 'kind of'," Laelynn reminded him, keeping her head down as they passed by a group of students.

"Well, basically I was born in England but my parents moved here, to Canada, after I was born. I lived here for about... 6 years. But then my parents got divorced, and... I lived with my dad." Kayden's eyes darkened, and Laelynn wanted to do anything to comfort him. Elena reached for his hand, squeezing it tightly, before letting go.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, trying to be comforting. He smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"It's fine. Anyways like I was saying, I was living with my dad. He got married to another woman, who already had a son who was about 6 years older than me. They all moved back to England for... a job, to put it simply. That's where I got the accent from. We stayed there for quite a while - about three years. Things started to get out of hand with my dad and I decided I wanted to live with my mom, back in Canada. After a bunch of complicated things, I finally got to move back to Canada, my dad and his family moving back anyway after completing the... job they had do. So I started living with my mom just before my 10th birthday. But I never lost the accent, which is a bonus." He flashed her a flirty smile, making her stomach flip.

"And you know what even worse?" Elena pointed out as they stopped by their lockers. "He calls soccer football."

Kayden gave her a look. "I call football football because that's the proper way to say it."

Elena huffed. "No, it's not!"

"Wait," Laelynn asked. "If you call soccer football, then what's football?" She blinked, realizing how confusing that sounded. Elena snorted.

"You okay there, Laelynn?"

Laelynn chuckled at her own mistake, glad that for once she didn't scold herself. Maybe spending time with Elena and Kayden was helping her more than she realized. "What I meant is, what do you call what we call football?"

Elena snorted. "Cause that's way less confusing."

Kayden shot her a look. "I know what she's talking about."

"If you say so," Elena smiled.

"So?" Laelynn prompted, curious.

Kayden cheeks took on an adorable shade of pink. "Well, I call it American football."

"SEE?!" Elena shouted. "Weird, right?"

"It's just... not what I'm used to hearing," Laelynn admitted. Elena scoffed.