Chapter 9

Two weeks flew by faster than ever. Each day was relatively similar. Laelynn would wake up, get ready for school, leave a note reminding her mom to take her medications, and leave the house. There wasn't much going on in school, except for a few tests creeping up to smack everyone in the face with new material.

Grade 11. Such a joy.

The bullying wasn't getting any better, but it also hadn't gotten much worse. The same things kept happening - unwanted locker decorating, shoving, mockery, insults - but Elena and Kayden would defend her. And with their support, she started stepping up her game, forcing herself to face her fears. Trying to become stronger. She wouldn't shrink away whenever her bullies teased her. She would stand strong, much to the bullies' annoyance. She hated having to feel that people had to defend her anyways.

Things at with her mom also improved. Although Laelynn still wasn't completely truthful about school, it actually was becoming a bit better, just because of Kayden and Elena.

The downside, though, was that Carson kept bugging Laelynn about Kayden and Elena not being trustworthy. And it was clear he wasn't trying to do her a favor. He just wanted to get under her skin and, though it's hard to admit, it was working.

She also kept feeling on edge whenever Carson was around Stephanie, Beatrice, and Mackenzie. She kept wondering; did he tell them about where she lived? Were they planning anything? The looks they gave her always suggested he had, and that they were.

It scared her, but she had to be strong. Of course, being strong could be... quite a struggle.

She was walking to school when she met up with Kayden on the way in.

"Hey," he greeted her in his crisp accent as she walked over to him. The corners of her lips tilted upwards.

"Hey. Where's Elena?"

"She's gone for a doctor's appointment, but her mom's dropping her off at lunch" Kayden responded.

"Oh, okay."

"How's your mom doing?"

"The usual - still no signs of an episode and she's still taking the meds. I'm still worried about her forgetting or stopping on purpose, but only time will tell."

Maria had come over to Laelynn's house over the weekend a week after the plate-injury incident. She had been impressed with Laelynn and explained to her mom about how important the medication was, and how much worse everything could get if her mom suddenly stopped taking them. Maria had also gone through Laelynn's medical history and had done a few tests, confirming that she did, indeed, have Social Anxiety Disorder. Since Laelynn's tormentors had long ago burned into her mind that she was worthless and broken... those were the first thoughts that came to her head. She believed that with the disorder, she was actually broken. But Kayden and Elena helped her believe that she wasn't.

"I think she understands how important it is now. Otherwise, why would she be taking her medications all of a sudden after such a long time of, well, not? Don't give me that look, you know I'm right," Kayden said when Laelynn tilted her head slightly. She huffed out a breath.

"Yeah, I guess you are," she mumbled, smiling with her eyes fixed on the ground. But, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Kayden smiling smugly at her. She glanced up at him, rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

"Oh, stop it," she muttered, and he laughed, gently nudging her arm. They stopped at their lockers, grabbing their sketchbooks before walking to Art class.

"Doesn't it feel weird without Elena here?" Laelynn asked Kayden, keeping her gaze lowered as she passed a group of students glaring at her. Like she said. She was working on it.