Chapter 10

The next day came quickly, and she felt well enough to go to school for half the day – coming at lunch.

She walked quickly to the library, excited to see Elena and Kayden again. But... they weren't there.

Okay, she told herself. Maybe they had to buy their lunch today, so they went to the cafeteria.

Her heart started beating erratically at the thought of going back to the cafeteria, panic and anxiety surging through her veins. Thoughts began pelting at her brain, attempting to change her decision.

They might still be in class.

No, she contradicted. Class ended 10 minutes ago.

There's a very small chance they'll be in the cafeteria, the voice inside her head tried.

Where else could they be? She argued.

Winning the argument with herself, she steeled her nerves and headed towards the cafeteria.

With a jolt, memories flashed into her vision, trying to convince her to turn back.

She looks better with all that food smeared across her clothes.

No, even the food looks better than she does.

She could feel her humiliation burning through the memory as Stephanie and Carson tossed more food at her. Once again, the monster stirred.

She grit her teeth, trying to control her emotions as she walked through the entryway and into the cafeteria.

Eyes locked onto hers as she stopped walking, frozen under the whispers and looks and glares. About half the people eventually went back to eating their food, ignoring her. But quite a few people fixed their burning gazes on her, even turning their chairs to face her. Watching her like she was on some TV show.

Something wasn't right.

She remembered who she'd come here to find, and searched through the waves of students. Her eyes landed on Kayden and Elena, who were talking to each other quietly on the other side of the cafeteria.

She released her feet from the ground, briskly walking over to them.

"Hey, you guys. What are you doing here?" she asked anxiously flitting her eyes around them.

"Could we... go..." her voice trailed off when she noticed Elena's eyes. They were red and puffy, as if she'd been crying.

"Hey, what's wro-" she tried to say, reaching out, but Elena flinched away.

"No!" She interrupted, her words sharp. Laelynn gasped, eyebrows shooting up in shock and she slowly lowered her hand.

"Okay..." she said slowly, glancing up at Kayden, who's eyes were also watering, swimming with conflict.

"Guys, what's wrong?" Laelynn said, wanting so badly to drag them somewhere where they didn't have much of an audience. But it didn't look like that was going to happen.

"Go away, Laelynn. No one wants to be around you anymore," Elena sneered. Laelynn flinched, not believing what she'd just heard.

"W-what?" She stammered, hurt stabbing through her.

"You heard me. Go away. No one wants you here." Elena said through gritted teeth.

This didn't make any sense.

"Laelynn, why do you think we ever became friends with you?" Kayden jumped in, his voice wavering as he spoke the words. Her stomach dropped as a sense of déjà vu smacked her across the face.