[one] saltine

"-and this is just for warming up the nacho cheese."

"Okay." I shrugged.

"So, you understand so far?" The manager asked me with a smile that was too wide for her thin lipped ass.

"Yes ma'am. I got it all." I smiled back, fake as fuck.

My new manager, Mrs. Saltine, nodded and shook my hand briefly. "Welcome to the Fliks crew, Jahseh." She gave my hand one last shake and pushed past me.

"Damn, bitch. Watch where the fuck you going." I mumbled.

"Huh?" She asked, turning around.

"I said that I can't wait to serve my first ...ticket?"

"Oh." She smiled again, walking away.

I let out a breath. I just started and I already hate the shit.

I tugged at the collar of my uniform shirt. The theater logo, a bucket of popcorn, was printed out on my breast pocket. I wanted to throw up.

The smell of butter filled my nostrils. I blame my dad for making me get this fuck ass job. I hate him.

"Hi."

I came out of my thoughts and was met with a woman and three children, all girls. The youngest girl was staring at me. I stared back.

"Good afternoon! Welcome to Fliks!"

"Hi. Um, can I have four tickets to see Despicable Me 3? And two large buckets of popcorn?" The lady asked kindly.

"Okay." I said, putting it all into the register. I struggled a little bit, but I got it eventually. "Your total comes back to $64.75." I smiled.

The oldest looking girl scoffed and looked up from her phone. "I'm not watching that baby shit. I want to see the new Deadpool movie." She crossed her arms.

"Amanda." The woman gasped. "Watch your mouth!"

"Shut up Amanda, we want to see the Minions!" The youngest child said.

"Well, you could just buy separate tickets." I butted in, giving my best attempt at a smile. A line had started to form behind them.

"Yeah, buy separate fucking tickets, Sharon." Amanda stomped her foot. I could tell that she was a spoiled bitch. My momma would have been punched my ass.

"Amanda, I can't believe this. Young lady, your behavior is unacceptable! We're watching the movie about the Minions and that's final!" The woman said, handing me a handful of cash. I shrugged.

"Minions it is." I mumbled as I took the money. I got her tickets and prepared the popcorn.

"You're such an embarrassment! I should have stayed with Dad! This is so unfair!" Amanda whined, fake tears falling from her eyes.

The middle child rolled her eyes and looked at me. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine!" I waved her off with a fake laugh. The machine behind me stopped whirring.

"Here's your popcorn. Enjoy the movie!" I said enthusiastically, practically shoving the buckets into the woman's arms.

------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for the tip. Enjoy your movie!" I waved to my last set of customers. My break had finally rolled around. By then, the smell of butter was making me sick.

I happily stepped from behind the counter. I nodded at my other co-worker, Jonathan. He was leaning against the counter, flirting with some girls our age. I recognized him from school.