Chapter 10

A previously fifteen-minute drive turned into a four-minute one. Cailey revved the engine and sped down as fast as the bike would allow, cutting through the forest and coming close to hitting trees and walkers and animals everywhere. As she got closer, the smell of fire got worse. She could see the curling orange and yellow waves on the field. She swerved to a stop just past the broken fence, seeing people fleeing and running. Blood was pounding in her ears, and her heart felt like it was going to break.

Cailey couldn't see anyone she recognized. She wondered if this was the plan, get her away from the rest of the group so they could break her off without letting her know where they were. She decided to go towards the flame anyway.

The engine roared loudly, spitting and gurgling in the heat. Cailey could see a heavy line of gasoline spreading the fire. Walkers were burning up in the flames, but some of them still marched on in search of food.

There were a couple figures in the fire-lit darkness. Hunched shoulders, long hair, and a crossbow. Running across the field. "Redneck!" Cailey shouted loudly over the roaring fire. She sped across, and the motorcycle's wheels bounced harshly on the ground.

Daryl turned as he ran, watching as Cailey slowed down. He stepped on his bike behind the girl, and reached over her shoulders to take over the handlebars. He swerved to the right. Daryl wasn't going to bother searching for anyone else.

The smell of smoke was starting to die down by the time Daryl and Cailey were in the forest. Daryl drove down a muddy pathway meant for hikers as the sun was starting to rise. He could feel Cailey becoming limp in front of him, occasionally falling against his chest as the bike bounced. Her breathing was still uneven and shaky, and she remained silent.

Cailey could just barely see where Daryl was heading. The shock of the events and the fire had blurred her vision in a flurry of anxiety. She guessed they were traveling towards the spot she had left Carol and the children.

Daryl stopped in front of the horde of cars protecting a small group. The sun was now starting to light a blue cloudy sky. Rick and his pregnant wife were huddled around with other people of the farm. Cailey recognized the farmer Hershel with his daughters Beth and Maggie, a boy with a fancy for Maggie- Glenn. She also saw the broad-shouldered man who everyone called T-Dog.

"What about Shane?" Maggie tilted her head to Rick as Daryl and Cailey approached. "Where's he?"

"He didn't make it," Rick stated. He obviously wanted to make no conversation on the matter.

"Andrea?" Lori asked, one hand on her stomach. There were a few questioning mumbles, but nobody knew anything about the blonde woman.

"Then what do we do now?" Carol shook her head, keeping one arm down around Carl's shoulders with Lori.

"We keep moving," Rick decided. He wasn't living in the past. He seemed ready to go. "Let's find a place to hole up tonight. Then we'll keep on moving."