Chapter 18

Carol gave Cailey some of the painkillers that had been taken from the infirmary, and she cleaned the girl's torn up shoulder. She also dabbed rubbing alcohol on Cailey's bruised cheekbone to help it heal cleanly. Once the girl's shoulder was wrapped entirely in white bandages, Carol sent her on her way.

Meanwhile, Rick had been talking with T-Dog and Daryl about what to do with Cailey's father. He had introduced himself as Jordon, and the other prisoner said his name was Axel. The men decided that Axel could be trusted in time, but Jordon was an entirely different story. Rick was hesitant to kill yet another person, but Jordon was putting everyone in danger- especially Cailey.

"We could just lock 'im in a cell and keep 'im fed," T-Dog suggested. "Once he starts playing nice, then we can let him out a bit."

"What if someone lets him out," Rick pondered. "I don't wanna take the risk."

"Throw 'im out," Daryl nodded. "Give 'im a chance out there. He dies, he dies."

"No, that's probably worse than killing him right here."

Cailey had been watching from the cell block door. She crossed her arms as she watched the men around the metal tables arguing what to do with her own father.

"I agree with Tee," the girl announced. "Lock the guy up, an' someone can check in on 'im every once in a while. Gotta make sure he don't have anything sharp."

"You really wanna live with him here," Rick questioned. "After that?"

"Had to do it before he got arrested," Cailey shrugged with her arms still crossed. "Long as he's locked up, should be fine."

Rick's chest rose and fell slowly with a sigh as he held his hands on his hips. "All right."

"All righ'?" Daryl spoke up. "We just gonna have this assbag hangin 'round here? Ya kept Shane 'round, an' look how that-"

"Shane was different," Rick snapped. That was obviously a sore spot still. "We will keep Jordon locked up, and we will feed him his meals. Axel will go nowhere near him, just in case."

Daryl went silent, and he only gave a small nod. T-Dog did the same before walking off. Cailey felt there was no more to say, and she turned off back into the room of cells.

"Daryl," the sheriff turned to his friend. "I want you to go on a supply run tomorrow mornin'. Look what you can see 'round here. There should be an old town nearby. Take Cailey. She needs to get out for a while."

The hunter nodded silently, fixing his biker's vest. He picked up his crossbow from the table, and he sauntered back to the row of cells.

"Oh, Daryl," Rick's Southern accent drawled again. "When you go, could ya look for this stuff for Lori? It'll help her a lot."

Daryl turned to see Rick holding out a small crinkled paper. Daryl nodded, taking the small sheet and shoving it in his pocket before heading off to find Cailey again.

The survivors each picked their own cell for the night. Daryl insisted on taking the perch right outside the cell block, refusing to sleep in a prison cell. Cailey accepted it, and took the cell at the very back away from everyone else's. 

When morning came, Daryl went to find Cailey again.

"Ey," the hunter called as he found Cailey lying on the floor of an empty cell. She was zoning out and staring at the ceiling. "Get up, we goin' out."

The teen sat up, gripping her bow tightly. "Why?"

"Rick wants us to see what we kin find 'round here fer' supplies. Let's go."