The War Begins

** Updates every Saturday**

"What I would give for the sky to have no name."

The painter gazed upon the dome of the universe that he reside in, watching as the stars above winkled and glimmered with cold indifference to the sufferings of the mortals and creatures that bathed in their light. Of all the universes within creation, he had taken this one to heart, this universe with the stars in the sky, with galaxies and planets that turned and twisted through the opaque darkness of the eternal vacuum that was space itself.

Ink did not think that he liked the fact that the sky was given a name, that one could expect all of its beauty and magnificence to be summed up in a short word, not even three letters long. How could someone expect the word 'sky' to truly reflect all the stars and all the colour that swam in what he gazed upon now? It seemed a waste to throw away such splendour and wonder to be wrapped up in a word that could not scratch the surface of what he felt when he gazed upon this wonder of nature.

For the sky was nature itself, a glimpse into outer space and thus the rest of eternity, to look at millions upon millions of stars that were scattered like confetti all across this universe, with faint wisps of nebulae and the aurora borealis sometimes thrown into the mix if you looked hard enough at the right time at the right place. How was it right, how was it just that humanity could have thought themselves high enough and right enough to have captured all of nature's essence and wonder into a single, small word?

The painter had been alive for nigh the beginning of time itself and even he did not think he had found a word in any language whatsoever that could capture what the sky was in truth.

Then again, why was he bothering to ramble about such things? It seemed pointless now that he thought about it to be musing over such trivial matters when there was not one creature alive in this universe to care for what went through his mind. The universe that he walked in, this universe with the whole of outer space as its stage was a graveyard for the dead, a cold testament for lives that had been so needlessly lost in a brutal war that had torn apart the very fabric of creation itself.

That was why Ink had been looking up at the sky, for the sky was the one part of this universe that seemed untouched. The real chaos lay in the world he walked on, with its mountains of dust and rotting trees that stood as cold reminders of the war that he had played a part in causing, that had ripped apart universes such as this one until there was no one alive to tell the tale.

"I'm talking to the ghosts of the dead," the painter laughed dryly, casting a glance over at a single orange button that was waiting for him nearby, where it had always been waiting, with the cold and indifferent word Erase written on it.

"I'm still here," a second voice chimed in, which sounded very strange indeed compared with the dead silence that engulfed this universe of dying stars. The painter thought it curious how quiet this universe seemed, as if it was nothing more than a mere extension of the Void itself, the space between all universes where there was no time, nothing, just vast, empty silence. Perhaps that was the fate of all universes, to become as hollow and devoid of life as the Void was.

"You did not have to follow me," the painter muttered, getting up from where he had sat, striding over to the orange button that he was beginning to hate, hating that it would only take one push to erase everything, to destroy this world and tear apart its coding, destroying that sky with all the stars and all the planets, never to exist again, never to be marveled at.

"Of course I did," his accomplice insisted, standing next to the painter. "I know that this hasn't been easy for you, hopping from universe to the next and destroying the ones that were ruined in the war. But it's necessary, you know. As long as these damaged universes exist, with their coding ripped right open, the multiverse can never again start cranking out new universes. The war is over and it's our job to clean up the mess, to get the wheels and the machine going again like it did before."