New beginnings

There they were three little kittens just sitting and staring at me . I was thrilled at the same time I had never touched an animal in my life before. There were so many emotions going through my mind that I cannot even begin to express in words. It was like my eyes were playing a trick on me.

They just looked so vulnerable and glaring at me with there shiny eyes it made my heart flutter. It felt as if something just came over me and I could not help myself as my hands reached for them it's as if my mind and body were not one.

Soon I was sitting in the midst of the three jolly fellows petting them when I heard some more faint voices and looked around to find nothing there . I peeped from the stairs to see two more who had managed to reach the first floor and were going through the garbage bin for food . They were just so hungry that to fill their tiny stomach they were searching through everything.

I didn't have anything to offer them when my mum gave me the idea that perhaps I should give them the fish food to them for the timing being .

I opened the can of fish food and they started jumping all around me with their tiny paws reaching out to me for food . When I gave them the food I felt such satisfaction when they were enjoying the food .
However this lovely little association came to an end when four children came from the top floor saying the kittens were theirs and that they had recently started being very inquisitive as they are growing in age . They took it with them . I had never spoken to those people and didn't know much about them .

If there is something as love at first sight the kittens had my stolen my heart . So now I started to look for ways to befriend those children. I purposely used to open the gate when they were moving up or down the stairs so that a friendly smile could be exchanged.

July, 2016
Eid came and these children happened to be Muslims so after a month of hard work I got myself invited to their home for the celebration of the festival.

I wanted to understand the cats , I wanted to understand how they lived with the cats , I wanted to get a sense of it all and most of all why their cats would often come down in search of food .
To my surprise I came to know that their were three single bedroom flats that were made on the terrace and three families used to share the space and the children from two of the family used to jointly take care of the cats . They were not of a very economically sound background as one their parents was a driver and the mother of both the family were cooking help in houses .

Naturally they could not provide the cats with any exotic diet just what was saved from their everyday food and some milk . They provided them a shelter and for that I was and am grateful to them . In their attitude I saw the true meaning of caring and love . They barely had enough for themselves but were helping another being out of pure love with nothing in return.