TWELVE ! box of polaroids

꧁ ❛ MY BOY ❜ ꧂
ᵇᶦˡˡʸ ʰᵃʳᵍʳᵒᵛᵉ

CHAPTER TWELVEBOX OF POLAROIDS

CHAPTER TWELVE
BOX OF POLAROIDS

"SARA, IS IT STILL OKAY I COME AROUND TONIGHT FOR THE PROJECT?"

Jonathan Byers asked Sara, pulling on the ends of his sweater to hide his hands. He did that quite often, out of nervousness because he didn't usually get to speak to girls like Sara. In his eyes, she was on the opposite end of the spectrum than he was. She was pretty, kind and humble - all these things he was too - but she had friends. Jonathan did not. He rarely spoke to anyone other than Nancy, and before Will disappeared, he was his best friend.

"Yeah, of course." She smiled slightly, packing her pencil case into her bag, hauling it over her shoulder and leaving the classroom.

Sara was indifferent about Jonathan. She didn't like him but she didn't hate him. She didn't really have an opinion on him. He was too plain for her to judge, obviously she didn't like to judge people, but it made it hard to figure out who he was. For the longest time, she thought he was just a shy, awkward kid, who was a little weird and didn't say much. But now, she didn't now what to think.
She continued to walk down the hallway, turning right and towards the science department. She sighed, anticipating seeing Nancy since the call. She had been upset for quite a while and Sara knew that there would be a lack of conversation to come.
Nancy always talked to Sara, and didn't mind when she was the one talking the most, but when Nancy didn't talk, it was silent. However, Sara didn't want it to be like that this time. She wanted to set things straight with Nancy and hopefully start again. She needed someone like Nancy in her life, and for a short while, she didn't realise what she was missing.

"Nancy," Sara cleared her throat, sitting beside the mousy brown haired girl, hunched in a light pink cardigan, "hey."

"Hi." Nancy replied, opening the textbook in front of her, her wrists crackling and looking thinner than usual as she wrote with a mechanical pencil.

"Are you alright?" Sara asked awkwardly, sliding onto her seat and dropping her bag down onto the floor beside her. Nancy nodded, not taking her eyes off the page, even though she didn't need to read anything from it. Sara knew that Nancy always wrote in a fineliner type of pen, and the fact that she was writing with a pencil suggested that something was wrong.

"Look, Nance," Sara started quietly, "I know I've not been a good best friend and I know that I've pushed you out, and I really didn't mean to. It's just," she paused, gulping as Nancy's eyes met hers, "I was afraid that I was being left behind. You and Steve didn't seem like anything that happened to Barbara mattered, and when I was still hurting, you moved on."

Nancy felt terrible. Sara was pouring her heart out and being honest, which was a huge step forward in coming back from Barb. But Nancy had gone behind her back, without her knowing, and ruined everything. She swallowed hard.
"Sara there's something I have to tell--"