THIRTEEN ! the byers boy

꧁ ❛ MY BOY ❜ ꧂
ᵇᶦˡˡʸ ʰᵃʳᵍʳᵒᵛᵉ

꧁ ❛ MY BOY ❜ ꧂ ᵇᶦˡˡʸ ʰᵃʳᵍʳᵒᵛᵉ

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
THE BYERS BOY

"I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO GET INVOLVED."

Steve said to Sara, driving down the empty, autumnal colored road, one hand gripped on the wheel and the other against his bruised lips. He avoided eye contact with his sister, mostly due to the fact that he was ashamed of his decisions and he disapproved of her witnessing the outcome. They had been sent home early considering the circumstances, and Sara was not impressed in the slightest.

"You say that as if I had a choice," she retorted, crossing her arms and glaring out of the window, "what else was I supposed to do, ignore the principal and stay in class?" She finished, with an angry tone.
It was unusual for Sara to be angry at her brother for as long as she had been for the last couple of hours. Steve had always known her to he easily forgiving, kind and warm. Yet that day, something in her switched and he was afraid that he was the one who did it.

"At least I fixed things." He justified, receiving a doubtful look from her.

"Fixed things? Steve all you've done is made them worse!" She threw her hands in front of her, expressing her frustration, "for one, you got your face fucked up, and two, Billy's dad is gonna kill him cause he's got himself another week out of school!" She explained to him, which if Steve was honest, he didn't think of.
"At this point, Steve, I don't really feel sorry for you. I kinda want to say you deserved it." The words slipped out of her mouth, and she wasn't sure if she regretted them. Something in her told her she did, and the situation could be resolved. But another part said she didn't, and she should stop being a pushover.

Sara thought about Billy, wondering whether he was okay or if Neil had possibly killed him, because it wouldn't surprise her if, one day, he did. She then thought about the night they met, when Steve had the party after her volleyball match. It seemed so long ago, yet it wasn't. The only thing that stuck vividly in her mind was how quiet he was and how he listened - he didn't disrespect her and he didn't run a riot, bring the troublesome guy he was, he just went along with what she said and got on with it. And his eyes. For once, they didn't hold anger or hatred.

The Harrington's arrived home, an awkward silence hung in the air as Sara slammed the car door shut and barged inside the household. She grabbed herself and orange from the fruit bowl and began peeling it violently. It was one of the few things that got on Steve's nerves; leaving peels around without putting them in the trash.
Steve followed behind her moments later, sighing once he saw what she was doing. But he didn't complain, he knew she wanted to be cross so he let it happen. He watched her peel the orange and leave it's skin on the kitchen counter, looking at him dead in the eyes whilst she ate a segment and disappear upstairs.