One

Colin sank wearily into his chair, rubbing his eyelids with his fingers. The phone rang, startling him from his moment of inactivity. He cursed inwardly and forced himself to answer the phone. "Now what?" His tone sounded snappish and he regretted it right away.

            The dry voice of Chief of Police David Hudson, his former superior, came over the phone. "Long night, Everton?"

            "Sir! Yes, sir, it has been a long night. But it's morning now, sir."

            "I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that there's been a murder down on Schuler Street."

            Colin blinked, held the receiver away from his face, and looked at it the way he looked at his electrical bill. Sullenly. He held the phone back to his ear. "And...that means?"

            "That means that I want you to get over there and check it out."

            Colin again stared at the receiver, this time with a shocked look on his face. "Chief, I seem to remember that I'm not on the force anymore. I'm a private eye." He stressed the word "private," perhaps unnecessarily.

            "And how is that working out for you?" Hudson chuckled.

            Colin glanced at his most recent electric bill and the bill for his rent - both unpaid -  before answering. "Well...it's not the force."

            Hudson chuckled again. "You mean you're making less than you used to make on the force."

            Colin half-closed his eyes, wanting to drop the phone on the floor and let it sit there. "You...could say that," he hedged.

            "Could, can, and will. Already have."

            "So you said it. What else are you trying to say?" Colin tapped his foot on the floor.

            "Come work on this murder, Everton." Hudson's voice held a note of something that kept Colin from hanging up the phone.

            He hesitated, his frustration somehow growing and evaporating at the same time. "Chief...I can't work anything pro bono...not even a case for you."

            "That bad?" Colin heard a sigh from the other end of the line. "Look, Everton, I can't promise you much more than this...but I'll cover any costs you have while you're on the case. Food, taxis, you've got it."

            Colin narrowed his eyes. "It's not that. I'm sorry, Chief. I just can't. I have to make a profit."

            Hudson sighed. "I'm sorry to hear you say that. I'd rather work with someone I already know. But I suppose a new face will have to do..." He trailed off, sounding like Colin had robbed him of his last cent.

            Colin pinched the bridge of his nose. "Who are you getting, then?" He asked flatly. "Because you're not getting me."

            Hudson coughed and harrumphed into the phone, sounding suspiciously close to laughter. "Ah...ah...Bonnie Taylor."

            Colin's receiver hit the floor.

***

Thirty minutes later,  Colin stood in Hudson's office, a scowl on his face as he stood in front  of Bonnie Taylor. "I don't believe it. You're not a real P.I."

            Bonnie  arched one eyebrow and eyed him from her perch on Hudson's desk. "You  better believe it, Everton." She crossed one leg over the other and  kicked Colin lightly. "I'm as real as they come."