Seven

Colin met Bonnie on a street corner just as it was starting to get dark. "Evening," she said lightly, her hands stuck in the pocket of her trenchcoat.

"Evening." Colin headed down the street and glanced at her as she walked beside him. "Why the trenchcoat?"

"Why not the trenchcoat?" She asked quickly.

"I asked you first," Colin protested. "And before you jump to conclusions, I don't mind the trenchcoat. I'm just curious."

"I thought we talked about this before."

"The trenchcoat?"

"No, your curiosity."

Colin laughed. "No, we were talking about your curiosity. This is different."

"Fine." Bonnie stepped around a puddle and cleared her throat. "I like the feeling of wearing a trenchcoat."

"And that's it?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Does there have to be some other reason?"

"No...I just...uh...realized that it kind of covers you up."

Bonnie's elbow jostled Colin. "That's the point of any coat."

"No...I mean..." Colin's brows met as he tried to formulate his next words. "Do you want to be covered up on purpose?"

She tilted her head to one side, her expression veiled by the darkness. "Ah. Hm...maybe? What do you mean...on purpose?"

"It covers up your figure," Colin burst out. "Makes you look less...feminine."

She stopped walking. "Is that bad?" Her voice had taken on a sharp edge and Colin realized he was treading on dangerous ground.

"No," he said emphatically. "Like I said, I'm curious. You talked about how hard it was to get into the detective business. And...I wondered if you thought the coat helped."

"Helped?" Bonnie started walking again, but the sharp tone still lingered in her voice.

"Helped people...men...forget that you're a woman." He held his breath, not glancing in her direction.

Bonnie was silent for a moment. "I guess maybe I did. Do," she corrected herself. "It's...it's all an act, I guess. I'm not even sure it's a good act. I'm not sure that I'm fooling anyone into thinking I'm actually a detective." She drew in a deep breath.

"I don't think it's all an act," Colin said in a low voice. "You handled yourself pretty well yesterday with that body." He glanced over at her profile and saw that it was set firmly.

"I guess so..." She ventured after a moment. "So...you think it's a good act?"

Colin scoffed. "I don't think it's an act at all. This - " he motioned to her trenchcoat "-is you, not an act. You've got an angle, sure, but it's not an act."

He heard Bonnie's breath catch in her throat. "An angle, not an act. You really think that?"

"That's what I said, isn't it?" He shook his head at her hesitance to believe him.

"Yeah..." She took a deep breath again. "But...we're partners. You're not just saying that to make me feel...better?"

"If I was, that wouldn't be a good partnership. I've learned - the hard way - that it's better to be honest with your partner."