Eight

Colin unlocked the door to his apartment and tumbled into bed, barely taking the time to slide out of his shoes before he burrowed under the covers and fell asleep.

He was awakened a short time later by his phone ringing. Because of his fatigue, the harsh jangling of the phone jarred him more than usual. He stumbled over to the phone, banging his shin on the doorframe.

"What!" He growled into the phone.

"Colin?" Bonnie's voice floated over the line, a welcome change from Hudson's gruff voice.

"What?" Colin repeated, using a more controlled tone.

"Oh, good. You're back in. Listen, there's been another murder."

"What!" Colin sat down on the table by the phone, the wood creaking under him. "But...but..." He closed his eyes, his mind racing.

"I was wrong. He hit the south part of town again." Bonnie sounded so despondent that Colin almost forgave her for leaving him the night before.

"So I stayed out there all night...for nothing." His voice trailed off as he thought about having to spend another night out on the streets.

"Yeah..." Bonnie's voice had a slight upward lilt in it, as though she was remembering her words to him the night before and smiling about it. It won't get you anything!

Colin cleared his throat. "You weren't all the way wrong."

"What?" The smile was gone from her voice, replaced by a confused slide.

"You said staying out was useless."

Colin heard a little huff on the other end of the line. "Not in those words...but yes, I did." There was a moment of silence while Colin searched for something to say, unsure whether to apologize for his behavior the night before or to just brush the incident aside. Then Bonnie spoke again. "Did you get any sleep?"

Colin glanced at his watch and groaned. "Not really."

Bonnie made a sympathetic sound. "I'm sorry."

Colin's eyes narrowed. Is she apologizing for last night or for my lack of sleep? "So am I," he said finally, hoping that covered his part in the process of apologizing. "It's all right, but I can think of lots better ways to spend the night. With you, for one." He held his breath, wary of how Bonnie would take that sentence.

She made a laughing sound - not quite a giggle. "Glad to know I'm preferable to the pavement."

"Really, Bonnie," Colin said earnestly, "I...missed you not being with me."

"In your bed?" Her tone grew slightly cold.

Colin closed his eyes again. "No, just...with me. You know...because we're partners." There was another short pause. Colin felt his stomach turn in apprehension. He wasn't sure what he would do if Bonnie quit on him.

"You still want to be partners?" She asked slowly.

"Yes," Colin answered without hesitating. "Yes, I do." He suddenly frowned. "Why did you call me in the first place?"

"Oh...why...oh! The murder. Hudson called me an hour or two ago after calling your place. You weren't there, I assume?"

"Yeah, I wasn't. I've only been here for...eh..." Colin glanced at his watch again. "Less than an hour."