I Can't Be a Hero Like This

Waking up to a blinding light, I hesitantly opened my eyes.

White.

Just White.

"What the fuck?" I groan.

"Young Bakugou! You're awake!"

My eyes finally focus on five figures before me. All Might. Mr Aizawa. Nurse. And my folks.

Wait—my folks are here?

"Katsuki? Are you awake?" My old woman's voice says. It's quiet. Soft. Uncertain. Unusual. I didn't like it.

"Yeah."

"Bakugou, are you aware that you have Hanahaki disease?" Mr Aizawa asks, tired, but concerned.

I nod.

"How long have you had it for?"

"Over a week."

"You what?!" The load noises making my ears ring, knowing all to well that the outburst belonged to my mother.

"Why didn't you tell us, Katsuki?!" My mother said, placing a soft hand on my cheek. I gently swatted it away.

"Cuz I knew you'd react this way. I knew that once I told someone, I would be babied. Pitied. Looked after. I'm not a fucking kid, okay? I knew that once I told someone, it would be no more training. No more reckless. I'd have to take medicine. You'd force me to get surgery. You'd separate me from my class. I would fall behind. Everyone would start babying me. Worrying about me. I don't fucking want that. I'm not some fucking weakling!" I burst out.

They all look at my with pitiful faces.

"See?! This is what I mean! Why are you looking at me with those shit faces like I'm about to break at any second!" I yell, not wanting to take any more of this bullshit.

"Katsuki—"

"No! Just leave me alone!"

"Bakugou, I am afraid that some of the things that you have predicted is true. We will keep you from doing any physical activity until your flowers heal. There will be no more recklessness. The teachers will be aware of your condition. And you will make frequent visits to the Recovery Girl to keep your lungs at bay." Mr Aizawa states, making me freeze and my eyes widen.

I knew it.

"If you look at this X-Ray," the Recovery Girl continues.

"The thorny stems from the roses are puncturing at your lungs and wind pipe. This is extremely dangerous. This is the reason for the large amounts of blood that you're coughing up, and if this continues, it will be fatal. You will have to have a check up with me daily, but that comes at a price. There is only so much I can do, and you will often feel weak after I heal you. The only way out would be that your love returns your feelings, or that you get the surgery—"

"There is no fucking way I'm getting the surgery."

"Katsuki, why no—"

"Because I don't want to lose my feelings."

The whole room returns to a deafening silence as I clench my fists, keeping my tears from spilling.

"A-Although they hurt like shit. Although they're killing me from the inside out. I-I can't loose them. I can't loose my feelings. Th-they—"

My tears that I tried so hard to keep at bay, finally flowed gently down my now pale cheeks.

"If I may ask, young Bakugou, who is your lo—"