Chapter One - Crash

This story was an idea I came up with during a conversation with otterdog224 about Shellington' s pure awkwardness/cuteness and the fact he can't drive for his life! So I thought it could be fun if Shellington got driving lessons from some of his Octonaut teammates... I am dedicating this story to otterdog224 for the support she gives me and the idea she helped me come up with! Hope you enjoy! Izzy :)

The sea was tranquil and quiet. The reef fish swam slowly and leisurely, enjoying the cool water lapping against the rocks and the refreshing currents of the ocean. The reef was shining in the dappled sunlight from above, its vibrant colours illuminated prettily. It was, in short, a calm and beautiful day.

The hands of the sea otter were tight around the steering wheel as he slowly drove the Gup D through the water. Shellington was enjoying the calm waters as he drove, looking around at the fish swimming past and the reef below while feeling pleased that he was allowed out in the Gup for a change. Tweak had let him in her favourite Gup with a reluctance that showed on her face as she wearily opened the Octo Hatch for him. Her parting words were: "Don't break anything!" Or possibly "Don't you dare smash up this Gup again." Shellington couldn't quite remember. But what mattered was that he was out, in the beautiful waters, in the Gup that was driving along so smoothly. Shellington relaxed, smiling and letting his hands go slack on the steering wheel. As he passed a current Shellington felt the Gup dip slightly and couldn't help a little whoop. "Haha! Wheee! Woohoo!" The scientist enjoyed being outside of the Octopod in his own for a while, just driving along and the water was so shiny and the shoal of fish in front of him was so - a shoal of fish?

Shellington realized just in time and yanked on the wheel to dodge the fish that he was about to crash into. Many gave out annoyed shouts.

"Watch it!"

"You nearly crashed into us!"

"Careful!"

Shellington looked back and gave an embarrassed little smile and half wave. "Sorry fish!" He realized the Gup was dipping steeply now and realized he was still leaning on the steering wheel which was taking him down in a steep left curve downwards. "Oh!" He immediately steered the other way, but forgot in his sudden reverie to take his hand off the reverse button where he was resting it. The Gup banked and spun around, driving backwards and throwing Shellington on to the dashboard. He landed on several buttons, one of which was the turbo boost button...

"Whoooaa!!" Shellington was thrown backwards as the Gup sped suddenly forward, going out of control and landing suddenly... on the sandy sea floor.

Shellington took a moment to regain his senses, feeling dizzy and unstable. Around him, the fish had scattered, knowing only too well what happened when Shellington was behind the wheel. The Gup D was nose first in the ground, pincer claws out on the sand. One was snapping weakly. The Gup was dented in several places and as Shellington got out to survey the damage, he sighed.

Tweak was not going to be happy.