Chapter Eight - Sunset

Shellington avoided looking at the dog next to him, scared suddenly of what her reaction would be. Plus he needed to keep his focus on the driving. He definitely did not want to crash, not with her next to him. Luckily the Gup seemed to be going pretty smooth as he drove it up through the calm waters, heading for the surface. Dashi had a confused look in her eyes but said nothing. Shellington broke the surface of the water, before them was an island. There were palm trees dotted around and the sand was smooth and golden. Shellington took a deep breath and, parking the Gup in the shallow waters, gestured to the island.

"Here we are!"

"It's beautiful, Shel!" Dashi had light in her eyes as she gazed on the picturesque scene. Shellington quickly grabbed the basket of seaweed flowers and fish biscuits, keeping it covered with the cloth and hiding it from Dashi.

"C'mon. I've got something to show you." Dashi looked at him and nodded, and he jumped out of the Gup, holding out his paw for her. She took it, and tingles went up and down his wrist. She jumped down and they laughed at the funny feeling of the water lapping around their ankles.

"Take your shoes off! It'd be more fun that way!" Dashi giggled, pulling off her shoes and holing them above the water as she paddled about, yelping cutely in a way that Shellington had never seen. That side of her was often hidden behind her calm sensible side that she had on the Octopod. Shellington followed her lead, laughing at the feeling. He gestured for her to follow him after a moment, and she came after him, slipping alongside him like a shadow. They shared a companionable silence as Shellington led her behind the trees to the other part of the island. Just before they passed the last of the trees, Shellington put his hands around Dashi' s eyes. She jerked slightly at the touch, but relaxed.

"I want it to be a total surprise."

"Okay Shel."

Shellington led her forward a few steps, positioning her in a way that she could see it all. Then he slowly brought his hands away and Dashi gasped.

In front of them was a scene of beautiful glistening rock pools, shining with the light of the sun. Shellington glanced upwards to check on the second part of the surprise; it wasn't quite ready. But with any luck, Dashi wouldn't notice until it was perfect. He moved his eyes back down to Dashi, she was crouched by a rock pool taking multiple pictures of sea coral of all different colours. When he approached she turned around to him and her eyes were full of gratitude and - something more? Shellington concentrated on the moment.

Not yet. Wait for the perfect time.

"It's beautiful Shellington! How did you find it?"

"I've known its here for a while," Shellington confessed. "It's just a discovery I made when exploring alone. I kinda liked it to be private, but I wanted you to see it. I knew you'd like it."

"Oh I do. Thank you!" Dashi took another picture of a baby crab and Shellington risked another look upwards. It was nearly time. Shellington waited a few moments, then called out to Dashi.

"Come over here! There something else I want to show you."

Dashi made her way over the rocks, her eyes down on the slippery surfaces to make sure she didn't trip. Shellington smiled, hiding the basket behind him. It was the perfect time. This was it.

Dashi came and sat down next to him, touching his legs with hers. Shellington gestured upwards and spoke. "Look."

Dashi looked upwards and smiled, her smile wider than Shellington had ever seen it, if that was possible. They both looked up to the sky, where the most vibrant and colourful sunset was taking place. The sun itself was a ball of deep orange, with the rays shooting out from it red and orange and yellow. The sky was a light pink-purple colour, and Dashi was captivated by it, her eyes wide to try and take it all in. Shellington shared the peaceful moment with her, then while she wasn't looking, drew the basket out in front of them and pulled off the cloth, bringing out the seaweed flowers and waiting for Dashi to look back. When she did her eyes were full of tears and Shellington initially feared he had done something wrong.

"Oh Shel. It's so perfect." Her voice was quiet and Shellington shyly handed her the flowers. Her eyes lit up and they shared a long look. Dashi took the flowers, breathing in their scent. Then she leant forward and their lips met. Hers were soft and tasted of cherries.

Shellington couldn't believe what was happening, even while it was. When they pulled apart her eyes were happy and his mirrored that.

"So, you ... er... like me then?" Shellington stumbled over the words.

Dashi laughed. "Of course I do. I... like you too."

They were holding hands, which Shellington hoped would never end. He pulled out the basket of fish biscuits and offered one to Dashi. She took it, and they lay together in a companionable silence under the sunset.

At last! Yay! Hope you liked that portrayal of Dashton FLUFF!'One more chapter to go. XD