THREE

Saturday, 17th September, 1994.

Dear Sirius;

It has only been two weeks, but I already miss you and Remus a lot. Thank you for paying for my subscription for The Daily Prophet, even though you said they were lying bastards. I rather like being in contact with the outside world while I'm here.

Classes have been okay, everything quite normal apart from Professor Moody. He's crazy, I swear. He taught us the Unforgivable Curses on the first day, and now we're doing essays on the inferi non-stop. It looks as if he takes pleasure on the most disgusting matters of every topic. Gives me the creeps. Also, he brought a spider to class. I was terrified. Haven't really liked him since that.

Anyways, I hope the two of you are holding up well. I know that not having me there must be straight up depressing but try and hang in there. Just joking. I love you two.

Send my love to Remus and try not to drive him too crazy, please. I'm looking forward to your letter and I promise I won't take too long to write next time. Love you lots,

Cassie.

P.D.: McGonagall talked to me the other day and she sends his regards to you. What the hell, Padfoot?

Cassie smiled as she folded up the parchment and tucked it into her pocket, ready to go to the owlery and send it. Nobody knew about Sirius being her father, which was great, because the Ministry would want to interrogate her if they did know. And she wasn't a very good liar. The incident with McGonagall had been weird, though, but it was probably Dumbledore's doing, as he knew what had happened at the end of the last year and could have told the woman confidentially.

As she climbed up the stairs to the owlery, voices could be heard slipping through the half-opened door. Cassie stood awkwardly in the doorway, not knowing what to do. Before her, the Weasley twins were standing in the middle of the owlery, discussing something that seemed important, judging by the solemn tone in their voices.

"It is probably a mistake." George was saying. "He'll realize that and will give us back what it's ours."

"Yeah but-" Fred started, but trailed off abruptly mid-sentence. Both of them turned in synchrony.

"It's not polite to eavesdrop, Miss Moore." Said Fred, a menacing tone underlying his words. Cassie shrugged, used to the twins' antics.

"I was just waiting for you to finish." She stated, stepping into the room and quickly choosing a discreet owl to deliver her letter.

Fred and George exchanged glances, and Cassie didn't miss how Fred tried to hide an envelope behind his back.

"So, who are you writing to?" The girl asked nonchalantly, leaning on a piece of the wall that didn't seem to be too dirty.

"Aha! So you were spying on us!" Fred exclaimed accusatorily. Cassie arched one eyebrow.

"I wasn't. Unless you like hanging out at the owlery -which I know you do not- I don't see another motive for you two to be here."

The twins remained quiet, and didn't say anything when Cassie left the room, flashing them a quick smile and closing the door behind her.

Fred turned to his brother then, one eyebrow raised.

"You like her, don't you?"

***

Sunday morning was the most relaxing time Cassie had had in a while. She woke up relatively early, had a nice breakfast and spent the hours on the quidditch pitch, reading on the bleachers under the warm September sun. The weather was fantastic, and she enjoyed every bit of it.

At lunchtime, she took out two ham sandwiches from her satchel and ate them there, getting the most out of the midday sun that hit her spot directly. If it wasn't for the cool breeze that swirled around, it would have been too hot for her, but that was what made the day perfect. Only the chirping of distant birds could be heard, and Cassie closed her eyes, feeling at peace with herself.

"Hey, Moore!"

A voice woke her up, almost two hours later. She dazedly opened her eyes, rubbing them with one hand while using the other to steady herself. The voice came for a figure standing not too far away, two rows of seats down from where she had fallen asleep.

Cassie managed to finally stand up, confused about everything. Narrowing her eyes, she looked directly at the person that had addressed her. The evening sun hit the figure directly, a golden tint illuminating everything.

The stranger was a girl of around her age, with black hair that fell all the way down to her waist. She wore the school's uniform, trimmed with emerald green. Cassie vaguely remembered her from some of her classes in fifth year but couldn't remember her name at all. The only thing she knew was that she was one of the few Slytherins that didn't have any trouble with the twins.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." The girl spoke again, a smirk dancing on her lips. Cassie smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry. Spaced out for a minute there."

"I gathered."

The Gryffindor girl quickly picked up her satchel and, after making sure her wand was still tucked on it, made her way towards the other girl, who was waiting for her with her arms crossed.

"I'm Cassie, by the way." She introduced herself, sticking a hand out. If the black-haired girl was surprised, she did not show any sign of it.

"Kathleen Maybeth."

An awkward silence settled for a minute, until Cassie spoke again.

"How did you find me?"

Kathleen shrugged, her face practically blank.

"I like to come here sometimes in the evening. Saw you there sleeping and didn't think you'd like to catch a cold." She explained, and the redhead smiled gratefully.

The Slytherin was right; as soon as the sun disappeared, all the warmth would go away and the chilly weather typical of September nights would settle in, probably making her catch a cold if she wasn't wearing her cloak.

The two girls walked silently towards the castle, until they reached the staircase at the hall and bid each other goodbye, going to their respective common rooms. Cassie followed the black-haired girl with her gaze for a couple of seconds, until she started climbing the stairs towards the Gryffindor tower. That girl had something that drew her attention, an aura of mysteriousness that compelled Cassie to want to be her friend. It also helped that Kathleen was definitely beautiful, with her high cheekbones and dark eyes.

Cassie definitely wanted to get to know Kathleen Maybeth a little bit more, despite what her housemates could say about the Slytherins. She didn't believe in all that house rivalry nonsense anyways.

A/N: at the top you have how I imagine Kathleen.