00 | prologue

[MAJORLY EDITED AND CHANGED ON 5. 2. 2019]

Edit: this chapter was embarrassingly horrible. I cringed with every word I read. I really hope it's better now!

×××

When the boys heaved the doors if the box open and peeked inside, they were surprised to find a girl sitting in a corner with her legs pulled up to her chest. She glanced up once, her big brown eyes filled with fear when she saw the number of boys trying to see her over each others shoulders. The boys started speaking over each other as they tried to get a good look at the new kid.

"Is he as ugly as Dylan?"

Smack!

"Shut up."

"Wait. Is that a-"

"-no way!"

"What? I can't see!"

"Shuck me! It's a freakin' girl!"

"What the hell are you talking about, Dylan?"

"It's a shucking girl!"

"If you're lying-"

"-He's not lying, shuckface. Look for yourself."

"Guys, I can't see!"

"No way!"

Similar exclamations of disbelief followed and the boys looked like they might actually tumble down into the box from the way they kept pushing each other to get a better view. The girl inside was getting more and more confused as the shouts continued. Mixes of words she knew and words that were completely foreign to her were thrown out, sounding almost natural on the boys tongues.

One particular boy pushed himself through the crowd and hopped into the box causing it to sway from side to side. The girls head spun as she held onto anything she could. She could feel her heart beating faster and faster as the boy made his way towards her. She pushed herself closer to the wall and deeper into the corner she was already in.

He held his hands up as though he was trying to reassure her that he meant no harm. "Hey there, Greenie."

She didn't take her eyes off of him, more afraid than she could ever remember. But that was the problem. She couldn't remember anything. Her mind was completely blank. She racked her brain, trying to remember how she had gotten in the box but came up blank. She couldn't remember what she had done the previous day or even that morning.

The boy held out a hand to her and smiled warmly. "Let's get you out of here, yeah?"

She was surprised by the fact that this boy didn't seem as confused as the others.

She hesitated at first, wondering if she could trust him. He seemed nice enough, but again. She couldn't remember anything. She finally took his hand thinking it couldn't possibly get any worse, allowing him to pull her up from the corner she had tucked herself in. He hoisted himself up and out of the box with seemingly no effort and peeked back in before lowering a rope with a loop at the end.

"Put you foot through the loop and we'll pull you up."

She hesitated again, still feeling uneasy about the fact that a whole bunch of boys were watching her from above. She looked up again and met the boys eyes. He gave her an encouraging smile.

She stepped forward and grabbed the rope and did as she was told, holding on as the boys pulled her out of the box. Once her feet touched the ground, she let out a sigh of relief. She turned around and glanced back into the depths of the box she had arrived in, wincing at the very sight. When she turned back around to face the boys, the boy who jumped into the box was looking at her.