17 | chuck

[EDITED ON 28. 07. 2019]
I changed this chapter so that Anne doesn't go into the maze.

Chuck happened to be a tiny and chubby little boy who couldn't possibly be any older than thirteen. One look at the absolutely terrified boy and Anne hated the people who sent them there all over again. What kind of people would send such a young and innocent boy to a horrible place like the maze. Chuck deserved to live out in the world happily with his own family. He deserved to smile and laugh and have fun all day. He deserved to go to school and make friends. He didn't deserve the horror and hardwork they had to do to live in the Glade.

The poor boy spend half of his first day following Nick around like a lost puppy. His chocolate brown eyes were wide as he stared everywhere, taking everything in.

Anne sat at the tower, watching Nick give the kid the tour of the Glade. Since they weren't so busy, she had taken a small break to get out of the stuffy Homestead. Anne watched as Chuck jumped everytime Nick said a word. Nick hadn't been feeling very well that day. Clint had even told her that he had a pretty high fever but had refused to rest for the day since it was Greenie day. So, instead of sleeping like he should be, he was miserable as he walked around the Glade, showing Chuck around.

The sound of a creak from behind caused Anne to look up from where Nick was pointing out the kitchen and behind her. Newt had his lips pressed into a thin line and stood frozen behind her.

"I thought I'd be able to scare ya," Newt shrugged, sitting down next to her. "Guess I was wrong."

"Yeah, I guess you were," Anne mumbled.

"Whatcha doin' up here all alone?" Newt asked.

"Just watching," Anne said. "And you know, I thought I'd get some peace and quiet up here but apparently, I was wrong because here you are."

"Oh, yeah?" Newt asked with a small laugh. "Well, I thought you were thinking about volunteering to babysit the kid. Chuck, was it?"

"If you hadn't noticed, I have a job," Anne replied with a roll of her eyes. "You however don't, so you qualify for it better than me."

And before he could say another word, Anne got up and called out Nick's name and waved him over.

"What's going on?" Nick called, eyes squinting as he walked towards the tower, with his eyes on her.

Anne grabbed a very surprised Newt's hand and pulled him towards the stairs. They climbed down slowly with Anne trying very hard to ignore the fact that they were up so high. By the time they reached the ground, Nick was already there with Chuck.

"Newt over here is going to take care of Chuck," Anne said, trying not to laugh at the ridiculous expression on Newt's face.

"Oh, thank you so much!" Nick exclaimed almost immediately. He clapped Newt on the back and pushed Chuck towards him before mumbling something about getting some sleep and rushing towards the Homestead.

Anne laughed and started to follow Nick only for Newt to grab her hand to stop her. "Yeah?"

"You're gonna have to help me," he said.

"Sorry," Anne shrugged, a rather evil smirk on her lips. "I have work."

***

Chuck was sent to work with the Medjacks on his third day and by then, news had spread around the Glade that the boy was absolutely hopeless at anything he had done so far. He had somehow almost chopped off Winston's arm on the first day and ruined a whole bunch of plants on his second day working in the Gardens with Zart. Both Keepers had said that there was now ay Chuck was going to join them at the end.