Chapter 1: Raiding the Goblin Hollow

The arid land caked under Peter's steps as he paced back and forth at the lip of the crater. The sun's rays broke through the thin veil of clouds, illuminating the shining tower before him. The reflection off the structure bathed the massive chasm below in light, revealing hundreds of toiling goblins. Only those hiding from work at the base of the menacing tower were allowed the brief respite of the shade.

The calls of the angry foreman could just be heard high above where Peter impatiently waited. Peering down, he could barely make out the shapes of the goblins marching back and forth, carrying stone and clay into the hallowed halls of their celestial tower. The monolith began at the base of the crater and struck out fifty feet skyward, its gnarled black fingers extending so that the highest peaks reached eye level to those outside the hollow.

"It should be here by now." Peter complained, eyes still fixed on the workers below.

He wore a thin, dark green overcoat that matched his eyes. Falling past his waist, the cloak had deep pockets where Peter held his world's belongings. His shirt was wet with sweat thanks to the sun bearing down on them. His pants were held firmly in place by a leather belt with a silver stag-beetle buckle. As he returned to his pacing, the footprints left by his grey running boots etched themselves deeper into the earth.

"That's what you get for putting your master plan in the hands of a stupid little gnome." Fi responded. She was lying belly down behind Peter, legs up in the air, drawing circles in the dirt. The little girl had little patience, and even less faith. "Let me just run down there, I'll be in and out before you know it."

"And riddled with bolts before you know it." Peter shot back. "Believe in the little gnome, it'll come through."

"Dumpy won't even remember who you are." Fi said.

"You gave it a name?" Peter asked bemused.

"Everyone needs a name," Fi responded matter-of-factly, finishing her drawing.

A round bunny stared up at her as she pushed herself up, sitting cross-legged. She wore a powder blue hooded tunic with short sleeves and modest frills at the waist. Around her neck hung a locket made of finest silver from the city of Mhyr, so she had been told. Her dark, cotton pants hugged her surprisingly muscular legs, ending at her bare feet. Fi disliked shoes, preferring to feel the earth between her toes. After all, the soft pads beneath her soles were protection enough. As she tilted her chin, admiring her work, the long ears situated high atop her head drooped down to the base of her neck, over her hanging hood.

"Call it again." Peter commanded.

"What's the point?" Fi groaned. "Every gnome in the crater must have heard it the first time, and guess what, none of them care!"

"That's because they don't know what it means." Peter replied.

"And Dumpy does?" Fi asked incredulously.

Peter approached her. "He does. I trained him once, he'll remember. You just have to be patient".

Fi sighed loudly, but moved over to the copper bowl and mallet that lay beside her. Placing the bowl face down, she grabbed the mallet in one hand and with a quick upward swing, brought it down onto the bowl. The dull clang rung low in Fi's ears, but more importantly her feet felt the vibrations travelling through the ground.

Satisfied, Peter turned back to the tower and allowed himself to take in the marvel that lay before him. The meteor had fallen seven hundred years ago. It was written in the annals that the crash could be heard from the peak of the World Tree to the ends of the Boreal Islands. The World Council at the time was still fresh and hesitant, and forbade any exploration, afraid of what they might find. When they did finally send a scouting party, they found that the finding had already been done.