Chapter 5- Tea Party for Two

The carriage's wheels trundled along the hard dirt road. A spotted orange thrush alighted on an overhanging elm, alone and out of place in the barren soil beneath. The bird cocked its head, intrigued by the cart, purposefully following the well-trod path; its driver fighting back sleep at the reigns. Long, red curtains were draped over the passenger's compartment, obscuring those within. A large beast with even larger ears that the bird had never seen before was depicted on every side of the drapery.

The sun's pleasant warmth fell down upon the carriage; a mild breeze the only thing keeping their driver awake. Fi yawned loudly, stretching her hands high above her ears. She was not enjoying the dreary atmosphere behind the veil. The curtains did shield them from the heat, but also cast a pink tinge over everything within the compartment, which she enjoyed even less.

"It's only until we reach the capital. Then we can raise the coverings." Jack said, watching Fi squirm.

He was sitting opposite the little girl, studying her closely. Fi didn't fail to notice, but also didn't mind since she was equally curious about him. Leaning back, his hands resting behind his head, the tattoos along his forearms were prominently displayed. On his left arm, snakes and spiders crawled up his wrist and past his elbow, stinging and biting their brothers. Along his right, a beautiful arrangement of birds and flowers of every shape covered his skin. When Fi peered closely, she saw little ants dotted all over the place, disappearing beneath his shirt; she wondered just how far the ink spread.

"Why bother with this anyway?" Fi slapped the curtain, a cloud of dust rising where she struck.

"The farther we are from the throne, those friendly towards the Queen become fewer and far between." Jack explained, "I'd rather not announce my presence until I can guarantee your safety."

"There's a giant elephant painted on the side." She cried, exasperated, "Very discreet."

"It shows she's watching, without revealing with which set of eyes." He said.

"How much longer?" Fi sighed.

"We should be able to see the city walls in about twenty minutes."

Fi opened her mouth to speak, then shot a quick look at Peter. He was fast asleep under a blanket, propped up in the corner of the cart. The events of the past week had finally caught up to him and he murmured something about taking a short nap before he passed out. Fi slumped down in her seat and extended her leg. She gave him a soft prod with her toe, but he didn't stir. Satisfied with his slumber, she pulled herself back up. Jack watched this exchange, bemused, as the little girl turned back to face him.

"Is it true you can't lie?" She asked eagerly, speaking softly.

Jack's puzzled expression broke into a grin, "You've been talking about me, I see." Fi kept silent, focused intently on him. "That is false; I am very capable of telling lies. However, I choose never to do so."

"Never?" Fi asked.

"Never anymore." He responded.

"Why? What happened?"

Jack paused for a moment, removing his hands from behind his head and leaning forward to cross them over his knees. "How about we make this interesting for both of us? I'll answer every question you have. But for every one you ask me, I get to ask one of you. I won't tell a lie if you don't either."

"You wouldn't lie anyway." Fi cut in.

"I could just sit in silence." He countered.

Fi's brow furrowed. Peter was clear in his warning. "You cannot trust a word Jack says."