Chapter 9- Fear and Fierce

Peter's laboured grunt echoed back at him as he tripped over a maliciously curled root. The bowed oak tree blustered with glee at his pain. You did that on purpose. Peter cursed. Burnt amber rays left behind by the hidden sun were no longer able to guide his way. The heavy moss curtains dangling from the trees' branches weren't helpful either. Ranging from darkest of greens to palest of whites, they were a constant deterrent to his already beleaguered pace.

Fi, of course, was zipping ahead. Ducking under branches, scrambling over roots, she deftly navigated her way through the darkness. She bounded off a tree, splintering the wood, and ripped a hole right through its mossy veil, disappearing behind it. Peter had never seen the little girl so full of life. He quite enjoyed this side of her, despite her cocky tone.

"You said you would keep up!" Her head poked through the hole only to taunt him.

"Just give me a second to catch my breath." He panted, leaning against the tree.

"Hurry up, we're nearly there."

Fi disappeared again. Running low, she navigated her way through a short bog, finding the patches with solid footing. The loamy soil was soft and springy. She pressed her toes into the ground, then sprung up to the first rock in a mossy outcrop. Hopping from stone to stone, sure of her footing against the angled rock face, she reached the summit. Fi took in a lungful of air. The sweet resin of the trees mixed in with the sharpness of the moist foliage emanating from the forest floor. She couldn't get enough.

Tearing through the veil, Peter followed. Wariness clung to the back of his mind. He couldn't let Fi's carefree demeanor distract him from the dangers lurking just beyond his sight. Branches cracked behind his back. Roots slithered across the ground. Giant willows swept the floor around them, keeping their bases clear and inviting. Peter would've sworn the forest was alive. Well, more so than usual. He thought.

Opting to walk around the boulders, he was greeted by a bouquet of beauty. Where the trees gave way, wild flowers took their hold. Climbing hollyhocks reached to his shoulders, their petals streaked with animated purples and pinks. Anemones sprouted in bunches at his knees. Their colours bleached in spots where the sun was allowed to reach. Below, chitin mushrooms infested the ground, releasing their fungal spores in an orange mist. Peter examined the shelled fungi, their hard exoskeleton presumably protecting them from the onslaught of woodland creatures.

Not that there seem to be any. He thought. Despite all the shifting and shuffling going on around him, he couldn't spot so much as a flying chipmunk.

A wilted flower drew his attention. It stood alone as if shunned by its fellow plants. Petals littered the earth, dry and crinkled. Its sepals twined in a wreath, the sapphire stamens resting sadly upon them. Peter felt a tinge of pity for the flower. Fully bloomed, it would have been the prettiest of them all.

It struck him that this might be a rare find. It was the only one of its kind in the area and it clearly had little time left in this world. He was suddenly overcome with an urge to smell it; perhaps he'd have a memory for Ellie upon their return. He crouched down and was delighted to find the flower pulling its neck up to accommodate his wishes. Its remaining petals spread out, the vivacious blue pattern beckoning him towards the deep pit within its core. He hovered lower, closing his eyes to truly experience the sweet nectar wafting towards him. He inhaled and was transported to a meadow of solace. Sweet bliss embraced him in a blanket of warmth. I could stay like this forever.. He thought.

Fi came flying down from above and trampled the charming flower underfoot.

"Are you insane!" She yelled.