<TWO>

07:05
JUNE 24, 2023

Day eighty~seven

I had hidden beside the toilet and small cement shower in the far corner of the cellar, pulling my limp leg into in arms and evening my breaths as the Earth shook like never before. I tugged the gas mask over my face, clutching it there and cursing as my crippled leg slumped onto the floor.

I had reinforced the steel doors with what ever I could find and use, and to this day I still think it's was kept the doors from collapsing.

After what felt like forever, it finally ceased.

I mulled around in that hole for at least 3 weeks before I felt insane listening to the same emergency broadcast over and over again on the radio, doing the same workouts, reading the same books.

I should've know that it wasn't going to be fun, being in that hole alone, and not long after locking myself down under I just had to go up.

After all, there would be no point in surviving if there were no more people left.

So, I did just that.

As I went outside, tall, thick boots, layers of clothing and gloves keeping my body shielded, I was assaulted by pure overwhelming heat.

Believe me when I tell you, I had never felt heat like this. And through all of my gear! It was insane really. The sun was blinding, and the trees and ground were but burnt relics of the beautiful forest that had been there just a month earlier.

My amazing car... Burnt to a crisp.

My trailer? Goodbye.

My chicken coop... Oh no.

So I was stranded. In the woods, without a car, and only two gas masks.

I moved back down into the cellar, making sure the cover had been firmly placed over the air vent, sealing the shaft.

I grabbed a gallon of distilled water, and moved up the stairs.

As I began to walk down the road, if you could even call it that, I looked around at the soot and ash that covered the ground and trees.

I shook my head, my breaths echoing in the gas mask's chamber as I shambled down the broken road, sloshing jug in hand.

If the radiation was truly deadly, one slip of my layered clothes that served as protection could prove to be fatal.

Charming, I thought to myself.