<SEVEN>

07:00
July 4, 2023

Day One~Hundred and Six.

A new routine became my way of life: wake up, wait for the others to wake, go down, eat, and then scavenge.

Today was no different, and I sat in the same spot. Keaton continuously called me Spero. He decided it made me 'heroic', and I guess he thought that somehow I was a good person. Even in a time like this.

Instead of remaining quiet, I looked up and met Tyrese's chocolate eyes.

"Tyrese," I said, pausing before my question.
"Who was here? Before all of you?"

The warm chatter in the room stuttered, and finally choked to a halt as Tyrese acknowledged my inquiry. He sighed, and began to respond.

"There were people here," he paused for a moment.

"...Dead people."

Ava, the woman beside Tyrese said something to Raina, and she perked up immediately. A little smile came to her face as Ava picked her up and carried her from the tense environment.

When they were gone, he started speaking again.

"The moment the bomb dropped they couldn't breathe, and the Ash did something to them. I lived not too far away, and I was there... I used to work with their cattle and other livestock. I called the authorities... I think I was one of the only ones. Later, a whole bunch of people came in started this set up," he said.

I listened with unveiled interest.

"Well, anyway, while a lot of the people were sleeping, the seal was broken by someone; someone I think that was related to the people that lived here originally.

Anyway, a lot of those people died. They couldn't breathe, and they were gone pretty soon. Before they went though, in the days they were here, they told me that a select few have immunity from the ash and immediate effects... But not from everything. They told me to make sure not to expose myself whenever I could, because it's a serious risk and they're not sure of the possibilities. they didn't run enough tests." Tyrese glanced down at the floor.

"I think whoever broke the seal blames us for the death of the landowners that used to live here, and they're mad that we took where they lived," Tyrese said finally, and met my eyes.

I thought for a moment before giving him a solid nod.

He glanced outside, and the sun had already begun to rise in the blood red dawn.

"Well," he said, and met my eyes again,"ready to go scout?"

I perked up. Scout.

I smiled as I grabbed my dish and moved it to the sink. As soon as I came back in, two bags were prepared and sitting in my chair.

Tyrese gave everyone a few goodbyes, and I followed him out with a sense of duty that I had not felt in years.
****
6 Hours Later

Tyrese's backpack slumped with the weight of all of the food he had found, and my own felt heavy with the assorted clothing and the few weapons I could find.

Around my waist was a double-pistol holster, and both of them were filled. Tyrese obviously had some trust for me, else he wouldn't be out here... Or this could be a test.

I reached up and adjusted the black gas mask on my face, and Tyrese wore his own transparent silicone one.

I kept my eyes cold and stoic as I wondered why exactly we were out here. Supplies, yes, but was there another meaning?

On his hip there was a black Walkie-Talkie. I kept my eyes on it the whole time in case he tried to attack me.

If he does, smash it, I thought to myself.

Just as Tyrese and I smashed our way through the front doors of a small convenience store, and the alarm began to yowl like a mad cat, a small interference etched through the Talkie.

I made my way into the store and unscrewed the panel above the door, and ripped out the three thin red wires. I crushed one sensor in my hand.

The alarm fell silent, as silent as the dead world around us.

Tyrese has heard the interference also.

Chhhhh-chhh-chhhhhhhh- Tyre-CHHhhhh-eed help- Chhhhh-LEASE!

Hi cocoa eyes widened as his eyes met mine.

"Do you have people," Tyrese said in a deadly voice.

"Are people attacking them because of you?"

His fear and hatred began to radiate off of him. I gave him a dark look.

"No, Tyrese," I said firmly as the voice continued to beg through the Walkie-Talkie.

"We don't need to worry about this now," I growled out.

"They could be dying and you want to stand here and fight me?"

Tyrese glared at me for one last moment before turning and moving through the lost until he found a familiar black pickup truck.

The back was full of supplies, and he tossed his bag into the backseat as he jumped in.

I got in beside him, and I felt my stomach drop as I thought about what could happen in the 20 minutes it would take to get back to The Farm.
****