Chapter Two: Part Three

*Veronica's POV*

Veronica was exhausted. She hadn't slept a wink last night because she'd been wracking her brain on what to do about Betty. It wasn't her or Archie that were the problem anymore, it was just Betty and whether or not she'd choose to forgive them. After their spat yesterday, she found that unlikely. She worried all the way through her morning routine and all through the car ride to school. She blindly walked to her locker forgetting, maybe the most important fact. That her locker, was directly opposite to Betty's. Panic rose inside her as she locked eyes on the form of her ex-best friend Betty Cooper. She looked tired, clearly her night with Cheryl had either been crazy or horrible and given the fact that this was Cheryl Blossom she was talking about, Veronica was willing to assume the latter.

She awkwardly shuffled over to her locker and opened it, cursing at the loud squeaky noise it made upon opening, she turned to see Betty looking at her. Well shit, she thought, this is how I die.

What Betty said next though, completely threw her off guard.

"You were right" she said solemnly "What you said about Archie...sometimes it's hard to admit things to yourself"

Veronica closed up her locker and turned to face Betty, she crossed arms for good measure. She desperately wanted to be friends again but Veronica Lodge wasn't one to come begging more than once. She needed to hear the right things from her first, if only to know that she was going to be okay.

"My mother is crazy" she continued "I'm afraid I'll never see my sister again, the boy I like doesn't like me back"

Veronica sighed "He may not be crushing on you Betty, but he does love you and he's legit miserable without you, if that's any consolation"

Betty managed a faint smile at that one.

"Anyway, my mom says that sometimes a friend is better than a boyfriend, maybe that'll be true for Archie"

And suddenly there it was again, that connection, that bridge between the two of them. It had been re-established by the admittance of a few hard truths and while they maybe weren't in best friend territory yet this was definitely a step in the right direction again.

"Veronica...did you see Archie this morning?" Betty asked sheepishly " I feel like I owe him an apology"

"I did run into him and believe me B after the night he's had, I think he'd welcome some good news"

"Why what happened" Betty asked, concerned.

"Well he told me he got in a big fight with his brother and it turned violent"

"John? Violent? That's two words you don't hear together often. It's got to be serious"

"Uh huh girl, if that wasn't bad enough apparently according to some of the boys, he's been MIA all morning, he's not even at the construction site"

"What's going on in this place, literally everything has gone over the edge"

Veronica watched as the cogs in that Nancy Drew head of hers turned over and over, if nothing else she was glad to be back on the team with Riverdale high's resident sleuth, whatever the case she'd always find the answers and that could one day, be very useful...

*John's POV*

"Why the fuck are you dragging us back to school for?"

Malachai was starting to get on John's nerves, this was the fifth time he'd asked since they'd entered the building. It was worse that he'd insisted on bringing four or five of his 'friends' who specialised in hell raising.