Plans

A sign announced "Welcome to Gander" in a bright white. At first Tord had wondered deeply where the hell Gander was. He had never heard of such place, though he didn't do much to learn about Canada in his past life. That country wasn't yet on his list of places to dominate. It had the Atlantic Ocean as protection.

He had looped through the quiet town twice that night, yet never found out more on his whereabouts. That is, until he decided to quit looking outside and glanced in the window of a shop that looked made to sell fishing gear. Fortunately, it appeared open twenty four/seven, so the fact the it was still quite dark out didn't hinder him. When no people were on the street, since he didn't exactly trust how people would behave around him as a bird, he flew down for further examination. He stood on the narrow ledge and peered inside.

He noticed that it did, in fact, sell fishing gear, with at least three isles of rods and a large container made of wires holding lures. Few photos of people holding up their biggest catch hung on the wall, along with some fake and/or stuffed fish, Tord really wasn't sure. And hitting the jackpot, a map of Canada was positioned on the wall next to a bass of some sort. Mumbling a thanks in relief in his head to whatever greater power was listening, he found that he could just read the labels with his super bird-vision.

Gander was found to be on the very east side of Canada, in Newfoundland. He made a noise in joy of being so close to the Atlantic ocean, he wouldn't have to travel as far. He lifted himself into the air and looked out at the rising sun, remembering how the sun rises in the east, and headed in that direction.

He flew over the town and left it behind on his way to get closer to his lover. He estimated about thirty minutes that he had been flying before he entered the town of Gambo and found a quaint beach. He couldn't see past the horizon; it was all water, becoming brighter with the sky above.

He found himself at a loss just then. He couldn't just fly over the Atlantic Ocean, could he? It would be exhausting and he might starve before landing. Or get caught in a storm. Or go the wrong direction.

Worry filled him and he made a noise in near defeat. He perched himself onto a tree near the sparkling water, hoping to help himself think more clearly of a way to get to Europe. He could do it, in theory. If he stored enough excess fat, he might be able to get there. There was no telling of how long the venture would be, the weather, or right direction, but technically, and miraculously, how could do it.

Then, looking out over the horizon again, his eyes caught a small sailboat, and that gave him the idea that would save him endless hours of flight. He could sail across the land as a stowaway. He could perch where the sailors couldn't reach him if they ever gave him trouble, and he could steal their food.

Rising back into the air, he went off in search of some boats, ignoring the slight sleepiness that grew inside of him.

||

With a stomach full of a juicy rabbit that he had just hunted and the sun rising higher into the sky, he came across an entire dock full of boats. The next issue, though, was to find someone who was going to Europe. Eavesdropping on a few of the civilians, he didn't learn anything that would help him. Most folk were only fishing and then returning, with an exception of one family going for a swim, but they were still coming back. He needed someone to take him to Europe.

Finding that this dock wasn't for travelling people, he went on his way further down the seashore. The next dock he found had much bigger boats, which was a good sign for him. Big boats were meant for transport, that were hopefully going anywhere near London.

After tuning in to more people's conversation, he heard word of Ireland, which was close enough to England for him to become interested. Two men seemed to be discussing exports of what Tord assumed to be fish, as well as fishing for themselves, most likely as a form of sustenance, on their trip.

It seemed perfect. He could sail with this boat and steal their fish to eat. It would be much easier than his original plan. In two days time, as he had learned, he would be headed off to get closer to being reunited with Tom.