Chapter 03 - Fooled You

Although she did her best to hide it, Gliss couldn't deny that the inner chamber of the Glaive Clan estate was in intimidating place. By design, it seemed.

A raised, semi-circular dais dominated the far side of the room, looming ten feet high and built from some kind of dark grey wood she didn't recognise. It closed around them like an enormous pincer, hemming in any who were called to the judgement of the Elders. Gas lamps burned faintly down both walls, filling the chamber with a strangely thick light that accentuated the shadow the dais cast. On the floor in front of them was a jet black circle, emblazoned with a grey motif of two crossed, curved blades – the crest of the Glaive Clan.

However, far more threatening than the architecture was the powerful presence that washed over her mind when they entered. Gliss swallowed hard. It had been a long time since she'd felt anything quite this potent, even among her own Clan. Her eyes rose toward the source and she felt the faint, unfamiliar sensation of fear crawling in her gut.

Eleven faces stared down at her, severe, calculating and unreadable and her normally confident stride deserted her. She shuffled to a halt, suddenly unwilling to take another step. Ahead of her, however, the seneschal felt no such trepidation. He walked out into the centre of the black marble crest and banged the base of his cane against it. The resulting crack echoed around the chamber for several seconds before he spoke.

"Elders, one of your own requests audience," he boomed, the deep timbre of his voice rolling around the room. Then Tithe stepped to one side, looking pointedly back at Capper.

The male vampire in the centre of the dais leaned forward, resting his dark-skinned hands on the wood in front of him. "He may approach." Gliss felt the power of his voice shake her rib-cage like the thump of a powerful bass speaker. Licking her lips nervously, she followed in Capper's wake as he approached the Elders, suddenly very conscious of the noise her heels made on the marble floor.

Keep it together, she thought, stopping at Capper's side and forcing herself to look up. The vampire in the centre appraised her coldly and she as she met his eyes she felt the immense power of his Aspect crash against her. It was all she could do not to back away. This creature was very old and very powerful. With dark skin almost the colour of coal he was like a living piece of the night. Her gaze flickered left and right. None of the others were quite so intimidating, but they had power of their own. Around half of those present didn't even look at them. They seemed bored and disinterested with proceedings.

"Capper," the Elder in the middle said softly. "I take it your new friend is the reason for this audience?"

"Yes, Elder Jocasta." Capper lowered his head and to her amazement she could see his fingers fidgeting nervously with the beanie. "She is an Ostracised, from Iron Hollow. She's looking for sanctuary."

"Indeed?" Jocasta leaned back in his seat, grey eyes twinkling with amusement. "And why does she seek it here?"

"She..." Capper hesitated. "It wasn't her choice. I offered it to her."

"I see." The Elder nodded knowingly. His gaze drifted to her and Gliss forced down the lump in her throat, holding her ground. "What is your name?"

"Gliss Raynor, Elder," she answered, dipping her head respectfully. She disliked pomp and ceremony, but she wasn't stupid. "Formerly of Clan Thorne."

"And why, Gliss Raynor, were you Ostracised?"

Time to set the game in motion. "I was disrespectful to my Clan's Elders."

"Is that so?" Jocasta chuckled. "Then I can see why Capper likes you."

She glanced at the young vampire alongside her. He kept his head down but she saw him grimace at the remark.