Chapter 21 - Thieves in the Night

Gliss tried her best to move in time as the musicians struck up a haunting dance, a sliding, swaying, languid combination of deep chords and high-pitched arpeggios. For the first few minutes it took all her concentration to follow Capper's steps as he guided her around the dance floor. Her gaze flickered around them as she moved, only to see the elegant crowds of vampire aristocracy gliding serenely through the space as though they floated on the air.

She stumbled and felt a coil of embarrassment worm its way up around her throat. Before anyone could notice, though, a pair of strong hands guided her firmly back upright and she found herself looking back up into Capper's eyes, moving as though nothing had happened.

A moment passed, and then a short, sharp giggle slipped from Gliss's mouth as she thought about the absurdity of it all. With everything that was going on – all they were doing – she still managed to feel like a fool at a simple dance.

"You okay?" Capper chuckled softly.

"Sorry, I'm just terrible at this." Gliss smiled, feeling her mortification subside a little. "You'll need to lead a bit more."

"I can live with that."

Then the hand on her hip shifted, moving to wrap around the small of her back, and with a gentle motion he eased her a little closer to him. She inhaled a sharp breath of surprise, suddenly a hairsbreadth from pressing against his body. For an instant, Gliss didn't quite know how to react, only just keeping her feet moving in time with the music.

After a few seconds spent in his embrace the surprise faded away, and she found that she enjoyed being surrounded by him, by his body and his scent. With a slow, suggestive motion she slid her left hand up from Capper's shoulder and hooked it delicately around the back of his neck. When her fingers breezed down the side of his throat she felt his body tremble. He looked down at her, his smile morphing from one of mischief into a warm, happy expression.

It took a few more bars, but eventually they found their rhythm, stepping and moving in sync with one and other. Although normally Gliss wouldn't have countenanced even the idea of dancing, doing it right here, right now was actually quite enjoyable. The constant feel of Capper's palm against her back gave her a sense of security; stability. He pulled her closer.

Her heart slammed in her chest as she found herself fitting against Capper's body, like two perfect jigsaw pieces. She lifted her head, feeling the cool skin of his cheek resting lightly against the side of her head, his aroma filling her. Almost without thinking, Gliss turned, tipping her chin up until she could look at him. His turquoise eyes tingled in the light of the gas-lamps, thin lips pressed together.

It was like a magnet drew them together. With aching slowness he lowered his head, and she rose up to meet him, eyes drifting shut as she blissfully lost herself in this moment. Their lips brushed together...

And then the music stopped.

Like a bubble popping, Gliss lurched back into reality, jerking her head back, eyes flying open as she looked around. She felt strange; somehow defenceless. Awkwardly she disentangled herself from Capper and took a step back, lowering her gaze to the floor and tucking her hair back behind her ears.

"Sorry, I..." Capper's words fumbled away and he released his hold on her. When she looked at him he didn't seem to know what to do with his hands. They fidgeted nervously in front of him and he gave her an apologetic look. "I didn't mean-"

"It's okay," she said quickly, reaching forward and stopping his dancing fingers. "It's just, you know, we're here for..."

"I know, I know."