Chapter 13 - Careful What You Wish For

Although she didn't care much for the ritualistic nature of the combat that the Veridian Shores clans practised, Gliss liked the feel of the duelling rods in her hands. They were heavier than they looked, and made a satisfying thrum when she swung them experimentally through the air. Off to one side Capper watched with a critical eye as she stepped, turned and swung, testing the best angles and stances to suit this newfound weapon.

Declining a set of leggings and combat tunic, Gliss had retained her original clothing. Although to an outsider the heavy boots looked like a handicap, she'd spent her life learning to use them as yet another weapon in her arsenal. Her jeans were supple and soft, only providing the tiniest resistance to her motions as she swept through the set of training targets. The heavy rods lashed out splintering wood with every blow.

She spun to a neat halt at the end of the staggered lines of dummies, breathing lightly from the exertion. Glancing back, she caught Capper's eye and cocked her head to one side, giving him a questioning look.

"Not bad," he said, striding across the gritted floor towards her. "You learn fast."

"It's a curse." She smiled sweetly, resting the duelling rods across her shoulders. "So how long should I play against these wooden cutouts before going to pick a fight?"

"A little longer yet," Capper chuckled. "You've got the basics, but there's plenty to work on."

"I thought you didn't use these things?" she reminded him.

He shook his head. "Not by choice, but we all learn to use them when we're initiated. I just...prefer the axe. Now, come here."

Still not entirely convinced that he would make the best instructor, Gliss stumped over to him. As she walked she was acutely aware of several pairs of watching eyes. Already Capper's predictions were being proved right as several of the vampires down in the pit took an interest in the stranger training among them. She caught a handful of guards watching her movements intently, including the towering specimen who'd served as her chaperone on more than one occasion. Scattered throughout the watchers she could also sense half a dozen strong Aspects that could only be Glaive Elder-Bloods.

Doing her best to ignore those prying eyes, she stopped in front of Capper and gave the duelling rods a playful twirl.

"Okay, teach me." She grinned, letting her fangs show for just an instant.

He smirked, folding his arms. "Alright, show me your stance again."

Obediently, Gliss took up her ready position, sliding one foot back and bending her knees, holding the duelling rods low and loose in her hands. He made her stand there for just long enough for her to start feeling foolish before he moved, stepping behind her. She straightened up reflexively but suddenly felt a hand between her shoulder blades.

"No, no, stay where you are," he said. "Just stand how you would heading into a duel."

"We don't really duel where I'm from," Gliss muttered, but she complied.

Then she felt him move up close behind her and her heart started beating faster, his scent and his Aspect washing over her. She suppressed a tremor of excitement when he reached forward, gently taking a grip of her waist in both hands.

"Keep your body side on," he explained quietly as he turned her. "Present the smallest target you can. A duel is won by scoring a direct hit over the heart so you need to protect that area."

Gliss nodded, not quite trusting herself to speak. She took in a long deep breath as Capper removed his hands. Then his face was suddenly next to hers, just visible out of the corner of her eye, and he reached out, taking a hold of her left wrist and pulling it up.