➺Chapter Thirty-Eight

It was well past midnight and Aaida could no longer deny the burden of guilt in her heart. The first time around, she had told herself she would never make the mistake of going behind her husband's back. Yet, the more logical, rational part of her brain pressed for her to make this decision. The only person of any power over Lord Usman was Azrael and it was clear he wasn't willing to go head-to-head with him for fear of his own secrets being exposed. But there was one secret of his that Aaida knew as well. One that could shatter his entire reputation, destroy his marriage, and turn their country against him. A secret that threatened to take the throne from him.

Aaida felt no sympathy for Azrael. Yet, she knew her actions could also harm someone else. Someone innocent who trusted her wholeheartedly. Someone she could not bear to betray.

She promised herself she wouldn't have to.

And so, she made the call well after Zaeem was fast asleep. The car arrived in the dead of the night and she slipped away after pressing a kiss to Zayden's forehead and ensuring, with a few well-placed pillows, that Zaeem would not notice she was gone. The chauffeur greeted her with a nod of his head,

"Lady Aaida."

She tried to ignore the queasiness welling inside her and the pressing ache in her chest that she was doing something wrong. If she wasn't in such a desperate situation, she would've considered a different option. Unfortunately for her, and her family, she had none.

The drive took a bit of time and she opted for resting her head against the cold glass of the window. Her eyelids drooped and her shoulders slumped as the exhaustion of the day caught up to her. She might have nodded off in the time it took for them to arrive at her destination. Finally though, the car came to a halt and the chauffeur stepped out to open the door for her.

"Allow me to escort you, milady," he said with another nod. She wasn't given the chance to ask where, exactly. He rushed off to the entrance of the grand building in front of her. She followed after him, walking from one corridor to the next, passing through doors and archways. He was always a few steps ahead of her, making sure she didn't have to open anything herself. Aaida would've asked him to stop if she wasn't in a hurry to meet the man she had called at such an ungodly hour.

The room they stopped at was already occupied. Aaida took a moment to gather her wits, inhale deeply, and square her shoulders before she stepped inside.

"Aaida. Why did I have a feeling you would eventually see the light?"

She folded her arms over her chest.

"Azrael."

The King turned around to face her, tilting his head with a satisfied smirk playing on his lips.

"I'm glad you don't use my title. It would've been annoying having to get you out of that habit. Now, the divorce-"

"I'm not going to divorce Zaeem, Azrael," she pursed her lips in distaste over the mere thought of it, "nor am I going to engage in an illicit affair with you. I'm here to discuss something completely different."

"The will," Azrael rolled his eyes. "Must you ruin my mood, Aaida? Why don't we let Leo and Tasawar handle that unpleasant business?"

"Because they don't hold anything over Usman's head. You know his secrets."

He shrugged his shoulders as if that little factor held no meaning for him. "And he knows mine. Which is why I am not going to step into this matter."

Aaida's tone grew sharper. "I did your bidding to get him a death sentence."

"I appreciate that but I will not willingly sign up for my doom."