Chapter 1: VFD

Dear Beatrice -

For once I feel I have purpose;

After your finis

Chapter 1: VFD

I have a lot of nice distant memories of my brother Olaf and I. If only remembered them before I smiled as I mourned for his death. He was a good man but I feel he hid to much from our family, and ever since father died he hadn't have been the same.

I remember having a fairly good childhood with my brother till he left unexpectedly with father. I felt terribly sad until I realized I didn't really like my dear brother. He was always loved the most, got the best grades, and even father gave him special visits and I, the other son, was in the room to be rotten. I was so forgotten my father didn't even bother to call me by my name, but as the other son.

That's what I thought when I managed to get on the island that which he died on; at least till I closed my eyes and my heart overwhelmed with this pain of sorrow or a stinging sensation in my throat. As I opened my eyes I see nothing but green spores float around me and after a while of the pain I ran to a hidden cave entrance in hopes of finding a antidote.

To my surprise there was no antidote, but the worlds deadliest viper to greet me. As I accepted my fate, the viper stared straight into my eyes as he placed a apple in front of me. I wasn't sure if it would work, but I took it and bit it anyways as a last resort. I was overwhelmed with relief as I felt the toxins leave my body.

I continued down the cave in hopes to find help. To my amazement, I found a massive tree that's trunk was burnt and covered in ash. it was surrounded by trash, and a thin layer of ash was covering everything else.

There I found the deadly fungi that released the spores that nearly killed me. They were surrounding the ash, but it appears the fungi Couldn't grow on the ash. I went up the large tree to find a wonderfully destroyed home.

In the home it told of a secret organization, that my brother was in and my father lead. It was really shocking and I found out that the fire department my father worked for was The Volunteer Fire Department, or VFD. Their jobs were to take out the fires of the world literally and figuratively.

I was filled with shock and anger, and the more I read the more angry I felt. I learned of the last safe place, a library haven with all the history of VFD and the world. I learned that there was a sugar bowl with the immunity for the Madusa Mycelium Fungi, the one that nearly killed me. I've learned of the story of the Baudelaire children, and the monster my brother was.

The thing that shocked me the most was the thing that started this story but I have to remember it isn't my story, but of a little girl named Beatrice II. A small girl who's detective skills are great. One who ventured far for Mr. Snicket a great man who beholds a deep secret.

"Have you heard of the tale of Gurilove pioneers in the mountains of-", a young girl speaks with enthusiasm before she's cut off.

"Beatrice hold the that thought, there are bad people in this world that await our demise or capture, and right now isn't a time discuss of them, but a time to hide from them" said a man talking to the girl as he quickly leaves the cafe with the girl.

"But Mr. Snicket, if your always hiding, how will you ever escape?"

"The last safe place, Beatrice, the last safe place."

"But didn't it burn in the fire? How could you go to a place that's destroyed."

"Because there isn't only one safe place in this world, sometimes it's good to have multiple safe places to go to when everything is bad in the world."

"So there is another safe place?"

"Well, I never said that now did I" he said while he winks with a smile at her.

What they didn't know was the people in search of them, were the ones responsible for the majority of orphans in the city; Mentors of Montresor, or the man with no hair and a beard and the lady with hair but no beard.

The Mentors of Montresor were once the head of VFD till my father took their place. They were filled with greed and they were the who burned down the VFD HQ. They waited for the right point, which was when VFD were fighting within themselves.

After Beatrice's death, Lemony Snicket decided to write a letter to her every day. Each one mentioned his sorrow, and his grief. This leads me to believe he was a very depressed man, which may explain his cowardness. Throughout the story you'll see how much he changed.

Lemony Snicket was known for being one of the best agents. He was presumed dead till he met with his sister Kit. The man was a very brave persona and always looked danger in its face if he felt it was necessary. After the Baudelaire events he decided to continue hiding. Hiding is all he does now and his younger self would most likely have frowned on his cowardness.

Meanwhile Beatrice II was a very enthusiastic girl, she loved mysteries and exploring. Her parents died when she was a baby and was raised by the Baudelaires. Her mother refuses to take the antidote for the spores that they killed her. She only lived long enough to give birth to her daughter.

She loved to read fiction books and had a wild imagination. Sadly, after Violet and Clause Baudelaire went missing, Beatrice and Sunny Baudelaire were forced to fend for themselves. Even after the trauma they have been through, they still kept high hopes in rebuilding VFD.

Now I warn you that if you desire to continue reading you will face great sadness and dismay. For unlike the Baudelaires story, this doesn't end with someone living, but with one sad lonely man, and the world he destroyed.