OPINION: BALLON D'OR

DISCLAIMER: read this first completely, before you comment something

so, this is a very difficult topic

first of all clearing up:
i think it's good for publicity, that it exists, as many people that aren't huge football fans have something they hear about once in a year.
there is one big event for the media in the year they can report about and that non-football fans hear about as well, whether seing it in the news or being told about it.

but i think it's hard to say, that there's a best footballer in the world.

in the past few years the only ones being voted were messi & ronaldo, with this year's exception modric.

i am really glad that it took a turn this year with not a striker being elected.

there are many defenders & midfielders, that had really great seasons, but are still waiting for their first ballon d'or, because these two (no offense though) always won it, because they scored many goals that year.

i mean, they deserved it, but others would have deserved it as well, having worked hard and having had a great season, but they were just not elected, because the media didn't write anything about them, it was always "messi came to rescue his team once again" or "ronaldo-the hero of real madrid".

although they really did save their teams quite a few times, you can't say they were the only ones, because one man can't bring a team out on first, second or third place in la liga.

of course, other strikers were great too, but these two scored exceptionally much goals & great goals & were basically elected because of that. there were other factors that influneced the choice, but it's mainly because of that.

and that is the problem for me.
people look at statistics and say: "oh look, he scored 30 goals, he is the greatest"
and then you say: "but look at his duel statistics, he only won 20% of it",
they answer: "but having many goals is more important"

they immediately look at that, but just because the media taught them so.

i rarely see headlines like: "hummels & süle saved their team today with their great defending"

and if there are headlines like that, it's always just: "the defense of fc bayern did a great job this game"

people don't read more and don't think anything of it. they don't see names and can't recall later, that they read about a good job someone made.

that is a very unfair situation, that needs to be adressed more.

in a voting people then see names they never heard of and don't think of it, but if other names than striker's were actually mentioned, people would remember them more & vote for them more likely.

for me there is no "best" footballer, all are great in their own way

also, just to mention: i have nothing against romaldo & messi, i basically don't care about them, i don't like them, but i don't dislike them either. my opinion on them is neutral.
i am just criticizing the media.

i am very open towards your opinion, but don't turn it into hate & don't just give me a sentence without reasoning.

i hope you enjoyed this chapter & i'm sorry if it's too long, i just had to get this off of my chest