The Palantír

Our horses walked steadily behind one another once again.

I was behind Legolas and Shadowfax, Aragorn and Théoden behind me. I was lost in my thoughts about what was yet to come and I didn't notice Legolas had fallen back next to me.

He smiled at me and I returned it. We didn't talk, just rode together in a peaceful silence.

I dropped Rhea's reins and let my hands fall on the saddle in front of me. I stroked her neck with the back of my hand and she whinnied.

But than she seemed anxious and upset. She pawed the ground with her hoof, and tossed her head.
"Shhhh...." I soothed her, stroking her some more.

I saw Legolas look upwards at the sky, and I did the same.
He was looking at Mordor in the distance, it's peak barely visible through the fire around it.

"Sam and Frodo must be so scared." I whispered to no one in particular.
"They will be all right." Legolas whispered back.

Than Gandalf turned Shadowfax halfway around to face us.
"Sarumon's wrath will be terrible, his retribution swift." He said. "The battle for Helm's Deep is over, the battle for Middle Earth has just begun." He paused for a moment and looked back up at the red sky.

"And all our hope lays with two little Hobbits out there somewhere."

~~~<<<~~~>>>~~~<<<~~~>>>~~

Dark trees were all around us as we walked through an unfamiliar forest.
I stayed close to Legolas, talking quietly with him, washing my doubts and fears away.

Lately, I had been putting a lot of trust with him, something I rarely do with someone that I had meet only a few months before.

I had no idea what it was about him that made me open up to him like this.
But that was a matter for a different day.

Laughter filled my ears, long before anyone besides Legolas had heard it.
We soon reached the edge of the forest and saw two quite familiar faces.

"Merry?" I asked, shocked. "Pippin?"

They were sitting on a brick wall, with their pipes in their mouths and food by their side.
Huge smiles played at their faces as they watched at us walk out of the trees.

Merry looked at us gleefully.
"Welcome my Lords-My Lady-" He added, looking at me. "To Isengaurd!" He threw his hands in the air dramatically, making me laugh.

Aragorn and Legolas were smiling too, happy that we had found our friends. But Gandalf didn't look quite so pleased.
"You young rascals!" He half-shouted at them. A fine chase you led us on! And now we find you feasting, and smoking!"

Merry smiled at Gandalf again, in a way that convinced me that he wasn't all that sober.

"My friend, we are sitting on a wall of victory, enjoying some hard-earned comforts. This salted pork is particularly good!"

He put an emphasis on salted pork, as if he knew Gimli would be interested.
And he was.

"Salted pork?" The Dwarf muttered from behind me, looking over at the two Hobbits.

"We are under orders from Treebeard, who has taken over management of Isengaurd." Merry said, still perched on the stone wall.

Pippin than jumped down and ran over to me. "Can I ride with you?" He asked me, in his funny little accent.
"Of course!"

I pulled him up behind me and he clutched my cloak. Merry climbed on behind Aragorn, and we started off again, following Gandalf.

He led us up to a huge, looming tower that rose hundreds of feet up in the air. There, a huge tree came walking up to us, in slow, careful steps.