Chapter 5

"Okay, but why SM Entertainment? I heard they're really strict with their trainees," Baekhyun shrugged while he was looking for audition opportunities online.

Because that's the company Chanyeol works in, duh. "Uh, because they're one of the biggest entertainment companies in South Korea?! Once you debut, you're guaranteed instant success," Jongdae answered as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Baekhyun glared at him for a moment before he shifted his attention back to his laptop.

"Aish, whatever. Let's just get this shit over with," Baekhyun sighed. Shortly after, he finally found some information for an upcoming audition in the area he lived.

Jongdae chose this dare for a reason. He had always known Baekhyun's love and dedication towards music. The problem, however, was that he wasn't confident about it. It wasn't like he was an introverted person but when it came down to his singing, he'd suddenly be shy, insecure and brush it off whenever it was the topic. And he'd never take such a big step, especially on his own. So that's why Jongdae thought, he'd give him a little push.

He knew that his best friend would make it because whenever he was alone at home, he'd play around on the piano and sing along. Jongdae didn't know, until one time he came back early from his classes while his best friend had none that day. Baekhyun didn't notice his presence so Jongdae took the chance and eavesdropped to Baekhyun's soothing, yet unique voice as he sang.

"One day the voice touching you with light,
like a kiss, a secret whisper that awakens you.

Your eyes with a dream that opened gently,
your smile as you wait for me.

Sit down by your side and give him a killer,
I was going back to that time when I was beautiful.

Following the fading memory,
I'll take you to you tonight.

Pouring stars filled with white stars,
walking along this road together.

It's clear in your eyes,
before the world that was asleep."

Ever since Jongdae heard that, it gave him the idea to this dare. In the past, he tried to persuade Baekhyun into trying out for various entertainment companies but his best friend never agreed.

Baekhyun groaned in annoyance. The day of the audition was moving closer by each day. Even though he still thought that this was a stupid idea, he took it seriously. He had done his research and practiced almost every day. Sometimes Jongdae would swing by and listen to him singing.

"How's it going?" Jongdae was leaning against the door frame with a cup of bubble tea in his hand as he watched his best friend pressing random keys on the piano.

"Amazing!" Baekhyun snorted sarcastically while Jongdae rolled his eyes in response.

"Aight, quit the sarcasm. Listen. I've heard you singing before—" Baekhyun looked up from the piano in suprise. "So I know damn well that you can sing! Quit being so insecure!"

Baekhyun was sitting in a room filled with other nervous candidates, fidgeting with his slender fingers. Whenever he was nervous, he had a habit of biting his lips, which eventually started to slightly bleed. The male constantly glanced at the clock on the wall, realizing that he has been waiting for about 2 hours.

In these 2 hours, Baekhyun watched auditionees entering and leaving with various expressions, either happy or sad, anxious that he could be the next one. He couldn't help but feel bad for the ones who didn't look satisfied with their audition. Most of them were actually quite talented, in his opinion. He even talked to some of them and to his suprise, all of them were really humble and supportive.

Meanwhile, there were only two people left, Baekhyun and another boy he didn't talk to because he seemed to be to deep in thoughts – in his own world. So instead he focused on what was happening in the current audition. He could hear the judges in the next room throwing some harsh words at the current auditionee. Poor boy, he thought.

The next thing he knew, the auditionee was storming out, tears evidently leaving their eyes as they sobbed. Baekhyun gulped at the sight.

"Byun Baekhyun, please."

It was his turn. Baekhyun felt like throwing up. As he stood up to follow the lady who called his name, his wobbly legs almost gave in. Saving himself in the last second, he gave the lady a reassuring smile as she looked at him with a slightly judging expression.

They walked down a corridor which seemed to never end for the nervous auditionee. Finally, the instructor lady stopped and gestured at a white door. Baekhyun took a deep breath, collecting himself and his thoughts which were basically everywhere.

Pulling down the door handle, Baekhyun entered a what he guessed was a practice room with big mirrors covering most of the walls. There were three judges sitting by a desk, who stopped discussing something with each other as soon as the male stepped into the room. Now all of their gazes were focused on him, basically piercing through Baekhyun. He tried to hide his nervousness – with no success.

"Hi... uh... my name is Byun Baekhyun and I'm 18 years old. I—"

One of the judges cut him off with a hand gesture and scribbled something on his papers.

"Position?" the female judge next to the one who cut him off asked.

"Pardon?" The male looked at the judges dumbfounded.

"What are you auditioning for? Singer, Dancer, Actor, Model etc."

"Oh. Sorry. I'm auditioning to be a singer, I guess...," the male answered, the last part barely audible for the judges to hear.

"Alright then. You can start now."

Baekhyun took another deep breath. You can do this.

"When the rain falls and the music flows,
I think of you.
The night when you left,
it was raining like this.

Again, I stand in the rain today.
And let the day pass by,
like a beautiful music.

Our love story
comes with pain, just like the flowing rain.
And thus the sad rain falls."

Without knowing Baekhyun had closed his eyes during the whole performance, partly to concentrate better but also to not see the judging faces of the auditioners. While he sang, he became one with the music. His powerful yet soothing vocals filled the room. The moment he started singing, he tuned everything else out. Fuck it, he had thought. The male wasn't hoping to get accepted anyway, so he had nothing to lose, right?

As soon as he finished, the male was anxious to open his eyes. Immediately, his insecurities came flooding back. He didn't want to see their faces. He didn't want them to tell him how bad he was. He didn't want them to criticize him.

Eventually, he forced himself to stop standing there awkwardly with his eyes closed, as if he fell asleep while standing. The moment he opened his eyes, he was taken aback by the sight in front of him.