1 - Ainsley

I am in so much pain. Elvira was losing control. Fast. I didn't know how much longer I could last. I was hovering over the forest floor in immense pain. My back was arching too far backwards and felt like at any minute it could snap. Faster and faster, my back was killing me. I opened my mouth to scream for her stop, but it didn't work. No noise escaped my mouth at all. It wasn't working. It hasn't worked the past five times we tried. I thought it felt different this time, but no. Just like every other time it was a fail. We were never going to find my parents.

"Just a little longer!" It was Elvira. I could hear her. But why longer. I was in enough pain as it was. I couldn't handle it any more. This as soon as I opened my mouth, the scream erupted causing my own ears to bleed a little. More pain came over me and I started feeling weaker. It was all too much for my body. I was right. This time it was different. But not in the good way.

Out of no where it all stopped. I fell to the ground (which definitely broke my back if it wasn't already) and that was it.

"Ainsley! Oh my god I am so sorry." Elvira apologised as she helped me up.

"Well, I am only getting more used to it," I lied, "We can try again tomorrow." I said speaking what I thought was the truth.

"But Lee," Elvira smiled at me, "it worked."

I stared at her in disbelief. No way. It worked! After so many attempts. We did it. Elvira did it. I looked up at her, she had a huge smile across her face, "look, I wrote down all the hints I got. You can go find them. You can have the happily ever after you've been wishing for." I stared at her. Happily, ever after...

***

I never thought I would be packing to go up further north east. I thought we would have to go to another country. France would have been nice. Paris. I love Paris. Maybe even Amsterdam. All the houses and aesthetic looks. I wish. But no, same country and only two hours away. To Veritos.

I was knocked from my fantasising when there was a knock at the door. Elvira came through the door with a small suitcase and by small, I mean tiny. Honestly, I was about to ask her about how she fit everything in it, until I remembered about her magic. Obviously being a witch had its perks.

"You ready?"

I knew it. I told her I was going by myself, but of course she insisted on coming with me. Sighing I was about to protest when she said, "Oh come on, you know you will need help and who knows, maybe your parents will like witches unlike your adoptive ones."

Its true, the adoptive parents I left hated Elvira. I left them because they lied to me, but that's a story for another time.

Soon enough Elvira was dragging me around the dusty, crappy apartment, making sure to pick up everything we needed. It wasn't anything flashy, but when your witch best friend encourages you to break the law you of course have to keep it low. That's right, Elvira is the breaking law type and you can definitely tell. Seeing her from a mile away you can see the sometimes bright blue eyeliner, the electric blue steaks in her pitch black hair. She is beautiful though, with and without her mask of makeup. The amount of times I had bailed her out of the police station or she has used her magic to get out of trouble is worrying. I don't know why she does it. But she does have magic and she is not afraid to use it to help her. Of course my views on this are completely different. However, I don't have skills like her, I have wings and an unwanted power to grow plants. That's all I can do. Grow plants.