Oh, Baby. // [part one]

Prompt: From tumblr, courtesy of the lovely @evyiione -

When the noble Original gave his word, he never broke the promises he made.

But when he gave his heart, he never thought she would be the one to break it.

[This will be two parts because I got a little carried away.]

"Ava, come here, baby

"Ava, come here, baby. Don't touch anything," Y/N whispered, tugging the little girl away from the priceless artifacts. "The dinosaurs are upstairs, so we need to go this way."

"But Mommy, I love it! I need it for my room," the little girl begged, her chocolate brown eyes locked on the ceramic vase inside the case. It was a priceless antique from France, adorned with pastel pink roses.

"She certainly has exquisite taste," a refined accent rolled over her, causing her spine to instantly stiffen. She recognized the voice immediately, her head suddenly

"Ava, let's go, sweetheart," she hissed, hoping he hadn't seen her face.

But he had.

He had also seen the chestnut ringlets on the little girl that were the exact same shade as his own hair.

"Ava. That's a lovely name," Elijah said, crouching down to the little girl's height.

His eyes flicked over her outfit quickly, noticing the smattering of flowers on her dress. Y/N had always loved flowers. The symmetry would have made him smile, had he not been simmering with rage.

"How old are you, Ava?" he asked softly, bracing himself for her answer.

"Three and a half!" She said proudly, before she paused. "Mommy, is that a stranger? Mommy says I am not supposed to talk to strangers," Ava declared.

"That's very good advice, but I'm not a stranger. Am I, Y/N?" He pursed his lips as he studied her every move.

"No," she breathed. "Ava, this is Elijah," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. Despite the disapproval on his face, she couldn't seem to tear her eyes away from the man she had loved for so long.

He looked almost exactly the same, his black suit pressed to perfection, the black button down beneath it starched within an inch of its life. His tie was her favorite shade of emerald green, as was the pocket square, and he looked immaculate.. but she expected no less from her dapper former best friend.

"We, um.. we need to go," she tried, scooping Ava into her arms.

"Mommy, can Elijah come see the dinosaurs with us? They have an Elasmosaurus!"

"Oh, no, honey. I'm sure Elijah has much more important things to do than look at old dinosaur bones," she said, hoping he'd get the message.

"You know, Ava, the Elasmosaurus is my favorite plesiosaur," Elijah answered, a tight smirk twisting his handsome face. "But your mother is right. I'm here to meet a friend and I'm afraid I am already quite late. Please tell the Elasmosaurus that his old friend Elijah said hello."