Chapter Eighteen

My eyes opened slowly and were met with the fuzzy shapes and colours of my room. I was lying in my bed and it was warm, the middle of summer, my shirt was sticking to my stomach and I had somehow tucked all of my duvet between my legs as I was sleeping.

It seemed that I had been sleeping in my school uniform. I had this dream but I couldn't quite grasp what it was.

For a moment, everything seemed so lovely and calm, like a part of my heart had healed while I was sleeping. But curiosity killed the cat.

I searched my mind for that valuable memory of the dream until I was reaching out, practically touching it, holding on to it by a thin string as it threatened to fly away like a helium balloon.

And then, slowly, it all came back to me, moment by moment... and suddenly I began to feel terribly bereft. Like someone had stolen my birthright.

None of it ever happened.

It was as if a horrible realisation struck me that it was entirely possible that all of those strange and wonderful events had simply been part of some strangely detailed dream. It felt like an anvil to the face, it felt like confirmation of the fact that no one would ever really like me like that.

I would never get out of the position I was in, never feel that sweet, warm, cosy feeling of snuggling on the shoulder of someone who would welcome you to be there with them.

Someone who was didn't switch temperature like my shower, someone who wanted me in a nice way, someone who loved me all the time.

Surely, surely there was something left from that dream. Evidence, I needed evidence.

I got up and rumbled around my drawers but there was nothing but trash, and the harder I searched the angrier I got.

Somehow my memory of that man's face was so perfect, so vivid, it gave me such terrible hope that I spoke to myself with conviction that it must have happened. And yet I knew that I was lying to myself.

No.

In an inexplicable moment of tragedy I allowed the tears to tumble down my cheeks. A terrible energy was welling up inside of me.

I ripped my posters from the wall and swept books from the shelf, a snow globe came down and smashed all over everything and I felt some satisfaction. I grabbed my laptop and threw it, with all my strength and energy, right into the window.

A huge slab of glass came rushing down and slid half way and landed inside my room, breaking and scattering across the floor into a million shards.

My god it was loud.. but not loud enough!

I wanted to burn this house to the ground, wanted to burn my school to the ground, wanted to leave and have no ties left to speak of.

Yet I couldn't seem to erase the memory of the sweet perfume of the flowers mixing with the spicy smell of the Devil. I could still feel the warmth from his body as I leaned into the crook of his neck. It was so vivid, almost becoming more so.

Suddenly, arms grabbed my shoulders and I felt like I was being pulled out of a thick pile of glue as the dream rapidly washed away and my eyelids fluttered, confused by the apparent darkness.

My eyes opened and were immediately met with those black, terrifying eyes, filled with concern.

"Niles?" He asked me softly. The Devil shouldn't be capable of such softness.

I felt some wetness on my cheeks and immediately blushed in humiliation. The sadness of the dream was quickly fading and the memory of the whole thing following fast.