Chapter 44

I was in my tent stuffing some food into my bag, trying to get myself in order. I heard footsteps approach.

"Squad 451?" A voice asked, I raised my head to meet Gale's eyes. He stepped in and sat down on Katniss's bed since she was sharing my tent with me, he watched me stuff a few more packages of food into my bag, "Looks like you're all good on food, don't expect me to share with you anytime soon," He joked.

"I want to be organized," I told him.

His face went serious, "Don't lie to me Lily-pod," I looked at him acting confused, "We've gone hunting together for as long as I can remember. I can tell when you're going to go off by yourself," I took our my small revolver, I didn't plan on using it I just had it as an extra precaution, "You're going to leave me and Katniss behind too?" He asked as I put bullets into my gun.

"As your comrade in arms, I strongly suggest you both stay with your unit..." a small smirk came upon my lips, "However...I wouldn't be able to stop you if you guys came along."

"Hawthorne, Everdeen, come meet your new unit," One of the commanding officers called out. I put my gun back on my bed and followed Gale out, "I'm Lieutenant Jackson," The woman who called us introduced, "I wanna introduce you to your squad," Katniss ran up and looped her arm with mine, "I trust you two already know each other, "she said sarcastically before turning to the soldiers behind her. She pointed to the first man, "This is Second Lieutenant Mitchell, best sharpshooter in Panem. These are the Leeg sisters. First Combat Division," She pointed to the two blondes next to him, I nodded a greeting to everyone she gestured to, "And this is Corproal Homes." 

I looked beyond the man to an oncoming person, "Finnick?" I was very surprised. I approached him and he met me in the middle, exposing his signature trident, "You with us?"

"Appears so," He answered happily.

I smiled and hugged him, he wrapped his arm back around me and squeezed, "Honeymoon was short-lived I see," I teased. 

We released each other, "Well I guess we'll get a part two in the Capitol," he chuckled "After we take it," He added seriously.

"Gather 'round," Boggs got our attention, Cressida and her team were right behind him, "Squad 451, you're my unit. Lieutenant Jackson is my second-in-command." He pointed to each one of us, "Each one of you is elite in some form of combat. But we are a non-combat unit. I looked at him with a confused facial expression, "So we'll be following days behind the front-line troops."

Cressida had her arms crossed over her chest, "You're to be the onscreen faces of the invasion, The Star Squad." Otherwise known as the counterintuitive troop in the revolution. I was getting angry, "It's been decided that you're most effective when seen by the masses."

I shook my head quickly, "So let me get this straight. We're not fighting?" Katniss asked for clarification before I could speak up.

"You'll do whatever you're ordered to do soldier, it's not your job to ask questions." Boggs snapped at her.

She nodded firmly, "Yes sir."

Boggs addressed all of us, "Our instructions are to shoot propaganda footage on the battle-scarred streets of the Capitol. You were each hand-picked to intimidate their forces."

"And inspire surrenders," Cressida interjected.

Boggs nodded, "Even though we'll be working on abandoned streets miles behind the front lines, I guarantee you wherever they put us, it will not be safe. This is a war zone," he reminded us, "It is likely we'll encounter both active pods and Peacekeepers. You're considered high-value targets to the Capitol," His eyes glanced over to Finnick and me at the end, he looked back to everyone, "In the event of capture, you'll be given a nightlock pill. A poison that acts immediately. Lieutenant Jackson, do the honors." I started at the box that he passed over in both horror and hatred. That damn berry. "I've already briefed you on the pods," As he spoke Jackson handed me a pill, I just started at it, "I remind you, they are on every block. Our unit has been given a Holo," He put the machine on the table and started fidgeting with it, "It's a digital database that contains a detailed map of the Capitol and a list of every known pod," He turned it on and a holographic map popped up, "These pods can trigger anything from bombs to traps to mutts. We cannot move without this device. There'd no guarantee that our database is complete. There could be new pods that we are not aware of. Because we don't want the Gamemakers to know we have this intel, it has a self-destruct on it," He pointed, "You flip this switch, say 'nightlock' three times, and it blows itself and anything within a 10-foot radius. Stay within our unit," He advised, "Even with the Holo, it is likely that new pods have been set. Whatever they contain they are meant to kill you." I guess I can kiss my plan of going rogue good-bye. Damnit. 

Finnick stood closer to me and leaned his face closer to mine, "Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to the 76th Hunger Games." He whispered.

Fuck.