Chapter 4: Mrs. Weasley

Draco had never been to the Burrow.

As he stood on the edge of the lawn, staring at the sprawling house bathed in sunlight, he felt very... hopeful. The Burrow seemed, quite simply, wonderful.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione started forwards, with Draco cautiously following behind. Upon opening the door, smells overwhelmed Draco. Something was cooking, something good.

"Muuuuuuummmmmm!" Ron bellowed. Draco snapped to attention as Mrs. Weasley emerged from around a corner, hair tied up messily. She stiffened at the sight of Draco, but was civil towards him, politely asking him how the trip was, even though they apparated. "Sorry for the mess," she said, flapping a hand at the house. "With this one getting married- where'd Harry go? Well, no matter."

Mrs. Weasley bumbled into the kitchen, and Draco followed, Hermione trailing behind them. "Draco," Mrs. Weasley continued, "Hermione said you would help me cook. We're testing all the recipes to make sure that when we cook it for the wedding there will be no... issues." She paused. Draco received her message loud and clear.

"I suppose you don't know cooking spells?" Draco realized Mrs. Weasley was addressing him, and expecting an answer. "Oh, sorry, um, actually, I do know most cooking spells. My mum; she didn't cook much when I was home. I had to make my own dinners." This answer was clearly not what Mrs. Weasley was expecting. She paused, and for a second, there was only the sound of the dishes clinking softly as they washed themselves in the sink. Then Mrs. Weasley blinked and the moment was over.

"Good," she brusquely. "Well then, get to chopping those potatoes. Cut them thicker than crisps, but not huge and chunky." Draco nodded and pulled out his wand, muttering the spell quietly under his breath, and the potatoes began to slice themselves. Hermione eventually left to settle back into her room, and Mrs. Weasley kept a watchful eye on Draco as he continued to slice the potatoes.

Draco helped Mrs. Weasley in the kitchen for awhile before Hermione came in again, with a fresh set of clothes and wet hair, presumably from showering. "Hi!" She said cheerfully. She had a particular glow around her, one Draco had known many witches to carry after a... ahem... special night with someone. He smiled despite himself. Oh, what would Mrs. Weasley say if she knew? But Draco wouldn't tell, he wasn't that kind of person, not anymore, and he wouldn't rat out his only friend.

"Draco? Did you hear me?" He realized Hermione was talking to him. "What? Oh, no, I'm so sorry." Hermione laughed. "Oh, that's okay. I was just going to say that all the other Weasleys are here, so I figured we could go say hi to all of them and give you a tour of the Burrow."

Draco inhaled sharply and his heart began to beat quickly. He tucked his wand into his pocket, and swallowed nervously. "Yeah. Yeah, let's do it." He flashed a nervous smile at Mrs. Weasley on his way out of the kitchen, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants.

Judgment day had come.