Part Twelve

"The traffickers can control the Whitago?" Aqualad asked, his swords drawn and pointed at the nearest creature , backing towards Nightingale and Equinox.

"They aren't supposed to be controlled!" Miiyahbin cried. "They're creatures of chaos!"

"Chaos?" Nightingale looked to Aqualad.

"Vengeance, death, destruction," Equinox said, "They drowned or were starved, usually by another human, and came back to seek revenge."

Nightingale grabbed Kaldur's arm, her free hand crackling with static electricity, "Do you think the Light may be involved in this?"

"Klarion is supposed to be off-world," Kaldur said slowly, "And I have not sensed any mystical forces since arriving in Moose Factory."

Emma held out her staff, warning the Whitago to keep their distance as they continued on, slowly walking backwards in the direction of the hidden base.

"Nightingale?" Equinox squeaked, grabbing her shoulder.

Emma looked over her shoulder, just long enough to see more Whitago appearing from behind the trees in the direction they were heading.

They were surrounded.

Of course, it could just be mere coincidence that the Whitago were just now attacking them, on the day that they planned to mount their rescue of a hundred or so missing women and children, on the eve of the Winter Solstice.

"Equinox, Aqualad, give me options. How do we take these guys down?" Nightingale demanded. The Whitago inched forward, slowly but surely.

"Um, run?" Equinox hazarded.

Aqualad grunted, his swords proving the only light available in the night of the new moon. A perfect night for an ambush. "I would have to agree."

Fine. "Equinox, fly. We'll meet you at the secret entrance."

"But you said-"

"-And don't do anything stupid until we get there!" Nightingale finished.

Miiyahbin had to grin, before she leaped into the air, disappearing into the treetops. The Whitago glanced after her, giving Aqualad the opportunity they needed. The snow hit the Whitago like the ocean's rage, pushing them back and down.

"Hold on!" Emma didn't pause to think if she could get them out of there, she just knew that they had to get to the girls, whether or not her wings were in top shape. She wrapped her arms around Kaldur's chest while the Whitago were disoriented, and with a shout that tore through the forest tundra, her wings ripped out from beneath her uniform, as pale and deformed as the creatures bearing down at them.

With all her strength, and with tears in her eyes, Emma gave a huge push with her wings, creating another wave of snow against the Whitago and launching them into the sky.

"Emma!" Kaldur's shout was lost to the wind, or maybe she just chose to ignore it. "Your wings!"

They crashed into a pile of snow right outside the secret entrance, where Miiyahbin was waiting for them.

"Come on! We gotta hurry!"

"Emma," Kaldur tried again.

"Hush," Emma was flushed from the bitter cold, "We can't let them find us. You and Miiyahbin get the girls free, I'll hack their system."

Kaldur grabbed her hand, pulling her away from the vents for a moment. "Stay safe."

Emma hesitated for a moment, and kissed his cheek.

"You too, Kal."

She disappeared into the darkness of the vents.

She found the central operations easily enough, it was being monitored by the same guys who'd been there earlier, indicative of a small staff. She didn't hesitate to kick off the grate, knock the guns out of their surprised hands, and slam their heads into the back of their chair and the keyboard. She cuffed them together, and then to their chairs.