Chapter 5

Mr Wealsey and Ms Scamander, your presence is requested at the Great Hall tonight for the back to school feast.                                                                                                                                                                         - Albus Dumbledore

Charlie finished reading the letter for what felt like the millionth and placed it on the table in front of him, excitement bubbling inside of him. He hadn't been to Hogwarts since his graduation, the school had always held a special place in his memory and he missed it. 

Hagrid had informed him that they would get to sit at any table they wanted too. Charlie, of course, wanted to sit t the Gryffindor table. Sammie hadn't read the letter yet but he guessed she would want to sit at the Gryffindor table as well. 

Sammie had been outside all morning. She had told Charlie that she and Alex were going to walk through the forbidden forest and look for bowtruckles. Charlie had only ever seen the strange creatures a few times before in his life, most recently in Sammie's case, so he had elected to stay behind with the still sleeping James. Charlie was used to getting up early, having 6 siblings meant that once one person was up, the rest of the family couldn't sleep for much longer.

The sound of faint laughter came from the entrance to the tent and Charlie jumped as he was jolted out of his thoughts by the arrival of Sammie and Alex. They stumbled through the entrance, Sammie wearing her trademark spray on leather jeans paired with a Holyhead Harpies Hoodie and carrying her case in one hand, and her wand in the other. Alex followed, wearing typical Wizards Robes, his hair a mess, ruffled by the wind and full of twigs and leaves.

"Dumbledore sent a note," Charlie said, capturing the two cousins attention. 

Sammie's eyes widened and darted between Charlie's face and the note on the table. Alex picked it up and showed her. 

"So we're going up to Hogwarts tonight??" He stated happily, throwing his arms around Sammie and bouncing up and down happily. Sammie just rolled her eyes and tried in vain to push him off. Alex looked at Sammie, watching her futile attempts to free herself. 

"No you can't get out, and yes, I do smell like coffee, thank you for noticing!" Alex laughed, forgetting that Charlie had no idea that he could read minds. (A/N: I can't remember if he knows yet so if he does know then pretend he doesn't)

Charlie's eyes widened in astonishment and he gasped loudly. Alex whipped his head around, having forgotten that Charlie was still there.

"How did you know..........She..........you.....smell like coffee...............You can read minds?!" Charlie exclaimed, at a loss to how he hadn't noticed it. Looking back, he should've realised sooner, the looks and nods the two shared, they should've needed to talk more to communicate, but they didn't. Alex could hear what Sammie was thinking, meaning that Sammie didn't need to speak to him out loud often.

"Yes, yes I can, but please don't tell people cause it's not a skill I like to boast about," Alex said, carefully analyzing Charlie's expression.

"I should've guessed, you two barely need to talk, well, Sammie doesn't anyway. Also, your mother is Queenie Goldstein! The most celebrated American legilimens of this century!! Are you as good as her? Can you hear what I'm thinking now?" Charlie asked. All his thoughts and questions coming out in a rush. Alex held up his hand to halt Charlie's questions.

 "I have known I'm a legilimens for a long time, no I'm not as good as my mother and no I cannot hear what you're thinking. I have to be looking someone directly in the eye to be able to read their thoughts, though there is the odd occasion........." He trailed off, lost in his memories of his Hogwarts days and losing control. Sammie noticed him shuddering and wrapped her arm around Alex's shoulders protectively. They were very lucky that Charlie hadn't been in Carl's friend group.