Chapter 1

“Queen of the hay barn, once again!” I shouted in triumph. I examined the guys standing on the floor of the barn, looking up at me slightly disgruntled.

“Yeah, yeah Rosey,” Scotty called waving his hand at me “Can me and Lawson come up now?”

“Hmm let me see” I made the thinking pose, tapping my finger on my chin.

“Come on Z” Lawson plead. I hate how he calls me that. “You’ll get lonely up there by yourself.”

“Says who?” I retort.

“Says your big brother?” Lawson shied away.

“Yeah and what about you Lawson?” I said, in a questioning tone. I love giving him crap, he gets all awkward and stuff.

“Umm, yeah, well, what was the point of making the hut if we, umm all of us can’t enjoy it?” Lawson started fidgeting.

“Come on Rosey. Let us up or I’m telling mum.” Scotty Yelled. Lawson spluttered a giggle he was trying to hold in. Scotty sent him a scowl.

“Seriously Scotty, you’re 15 and you still wanna go running to Mum, just because you can’t beat your little sister?” I mocked.

“You’re 14 and get you act like a 20 year old guy. It’s so not fair.” He grumbled.

“And you act like a 12 year old, especially around Sophi.” I laughed. “Fine, but you need the password.”

“Hey, that’s not fair, I don’t know what the password is. And you leave Sophi outa this” Scotty called.

“It’s not my fault Sophi’s more interested in hanging out with her best friend rather than her stinky brother.” I teased.

I saw Lawson start to climb the bales. He had a smile on his face.

“Password please” I stated.

“Cowboy boots” He whispered close to my ear. I could feel his warm breath lingering on my ear. When he pulled away I noticed his cheeks where reddened.

“Looks like your hayfever’s playing up again” I said.

“Yeah, ‘hayfever’” Scotty scoffed.

“Queen Z, permission to share the password” Lawson said while shooting daggers at Scotty. I heard Scotty laugh quietly.

“Fine” I said with an eye roll “but he has to go get the afternoon tea from Mum.”

Scotty quickly turned around and ran towards the house.

“Thanks Z” Lawson said quietly.

“Why do you call me that?” I said abruptly.

“What?” Lawson raised his eyebrows at me.

“Z. Why do you call me Z?” I said.

“I don’t know, it’s just, I don’t know, suits you for a nickname?” I could tell he was holding something back. After growing up with him and Scotty I got to read them pretty well.

His light blue eyes flickered over to the doorway.

“Lawson, what aren’t you telling me?” I said confused.

“Z” He started.

“Guy’s can I come up now?” I heard Scotty call from below us.

“Nevermind, it’s not important.” He said walking over to the edge of the hut and waving for Scotty to come up.

“What is your problem with me? When ever it’s just you and me you always get weird, like I’ve got a disease or something.” I said quietly as I pushed pass him.