I Do It For The Love

I was only 7 and already had some meaning as to why New Orleans wasn't the place I wanted to be for the rest of my life. It was like everywhere I looked I saw trouble and problems. I usually just ran to my grandmother who I called moh-moh for help. She was a real spiritual G. An OG at that she'd catch the Holy Ghost than cuss you out. I still love her though. She'd always give great advice then cook whatever we wanted to eat.
My close family was my sister Deandra(she was from my dad's previous relationship). My mom Tramacia who worked for the then Bellsouth. My dad Devon who worked for ADT which was enough. My sister Tamara who was of course a natural pain being only a year and a day older than me. Then there's me, my name, Leah Marie. I have more family as in a lot more.
I had always loved them. Sometimes though, they just had a tendency to annoy the crap out of me. What family didn't. We disagreed over almost everything.
Me and my sister Tamara went to Lake Forrest Elementary school. It was huge for no reason. We had a cafeteria that was as big as the school. A courtyard in the shape of a square with nothing but concrete between the cafeteria and the school connecting only at a breezeway making a right angle. Behind the school was a pool. It was huge or at least it was to me being that at 7 y/o I stood 3' 11". The normal school day consisted of waking up, getting ready for school, getting into the car, going to a local donut shop a few blocks away from the school, my favorite had always been the chocolate with sprinkles, we'd always leave the shop with just enough time to eat in the cafeteria. After eating we'd all go sit on the ground in the courtyard with our corresponding grades. We waited for about 20 minutes then all stand and wait for the morning announcements. "Mrs. Rodney's classes will be joined with Mrs. Ross' classes due to her suddenly getting ill" the principle managed to get out over the large crowd. Being that it'd only been Monday I figured she'd probably over drank herself this weekend. Everyone young or old knew how much of a drunk she was.
We soon did and finally finished the Pledge of Allegiance. Starting it was never a problem but with a courtyard of kindergarteners through eight graders who couldn't care any less about saying it actually finishing it didn't happen often.
After school I caught up to Tamara and my cousin Heaven, who was the same age as Tamara, so that we could walk home. Now I know what you're thinking why are a 7 y/o and two 8 y/o's walking home alone don't worry it's normal. We walked only about 4 blocks to get home. All the slangas and hustlas knew not to mess with the kids especially the ones under 10 and not to even look at the girls til we turned 15. Minimum. Today though, there was a new slanga. None of us had ever seen him and the closer he got the more we knew.