Chapter 2--Dreams

One Eye snarled in his sleep. His mother sat waiting for him to get up, but he continued to dream. One Eye liked to dream of his big dreams. Big dreams of fame and loyalty. Big dreams of hope and peace. Big dreams of friends and allies. He liked dreaming of these things. In his opinion, it was his reality. His earth.

     One Eye's mother barked at One Eye. She was bored by the long wait. One Eye jumped up and sat straight and tall almost if he was a soldier marching down a village. His mother explained, "We need at least eight squirrels today.¨ One Eye stared in disbelief. This is the largest task he had ever taken on. Larger than his first solo hunt. He firmly replied with, "Yes ma'am."

     After taking on his task, One Eye decided that he must begin working toward his dreams. He rushed down the large array of dens and into the woods. As One Eye entered the woods, he felt his amulet vibrate. He looked down at the amulet to see bright beams of green light pointing at eight squirrels in the treetops. It turned out to be his fastest hunt ever. He proudly walked down the paths.

     As One Eye looked for his home, his amulet started flashing different shades of red. One Eye knew something was wrong. He looked at the guidance sign to see he was 500 feet away from Queen Cambria's tunnel. He said okay and started to walk some more to realize he was in the other pack's territory. Queen Cambria was the commander of the Spines, which was the other pack's name. Her packs name was Eclipse. This was the rival pack's territory. They did not like strangers walking around and were very strict.

     As One Eye started to run the opposite way, he heard another wolf call, "Hey, get back here." Soon, there were three wolves chasing him through the woods. Scared, he yelped as if he was in pain. Soon, eighteen wolves from pack Eclipse popped out of the trees. The three Spines howled then ran off.

     Suddenly, out of the trees, Fang came out. His teeth jittered as he walked toward me. He asked,"What are those eight squirrels in your mouth for?" One Eye replied nervously, "My....My mother needed them for dinner." Then happily, Fang said, "I told your mother to get those for dinner. What a brave fellow you are. Risking your life for your pack. That is true loyalty." One Eye sighed in relief.

     All eighteen of the Eclipse soldiers balled and ran off. Fang turned around and firmly commanded One Eye to get on his back. Fang carried One Eye to the feasting den. Surprisingly, he saw his mother sitting at the dinner table.