Chapter 1: Joan Tannin's reincarnation

It was finally time for the chorus.

My backup dancers and I made our way to the center of the stage and began to execute the dance moves of my latest hit single, This world is a dream.

This song was an upbeat, girls-night-out, party song and as usual the crowd was eating it up.

I brought the microphone to my lips and sang my heart out as the spotlights all turned to me and confetti was shot out of the stage cannons.

"This world is a dream but it's okay!

I'll close my eyes and hope it fades away,

Hold my hand and help me brave this day

Yeah... we're okay!"

When I looked back up at the crowd I saw them screaming frantically which was normal for a concert filled with my die-hard fans, but these weren't the usual cheers and chanting... The way they were screaming and erratically waving their hands at me seemed more desperate and urgent than usual. A few of them looked like their were gesturing upwards, a trending new dance move perhaps?

I tried to listen to what they were saying but I couldn't because of the backtrack blasting in my ears, so I carried on singing but turned my head to see if my back up dancers knew what was going on; only to find that they weren't there. For some reason I was completely alone during the chorus when there was supposed to be a crew of six dancing behind me.

I spun around to see the dancers running off the stage, as if they were running for their lives. This made me stop singing and take out my headpiece just in time to hear someone scream...

"Run Joanie! The lights are—"

I never got to hear the end of that sentence because one of the huge stage lights directly above me somehow detached from its fixture and fell straight on top of me. I died instantly.

Superstar Joanie Tannin died mid-concert from a spotlight falling on her. I was so glad that I wouldn't be alive to read the articles they would print about my death.

I could only imagine the headlines...

I was dead... I was sure of it, and yet here I was still able to think.

I could not see, hear or smell anything in the pitch black nothingness, but I was definitely still conscious. I was floating in an ocean of nothingness, complete pitch black nothingness, until I heard the gentle voice of an old man beckoning me closer.

In the midst of nothing but my own voice to keep me company, the sound of another voice was two parts relief, one part disorientating.

"Miss Joan Tannin, are you awake?" The voice spoke casually as this situation was nothing out of the ordinary.

I didn't think I would be able to reply since m e I couldn't feel my mouth, or my face for that matter, but the voice in my head seemed capable of communicating with this external voice.

"Yes... I am."

"I'm glad to hear that."

I was glad that he could hear that too, since I only thought it.

"Miss Tannin, are you aware that you are deceased?" He asked wearily, in the same tone as nurses in a doctors office would probe you with questions about your health.

"Yes, I know."

The memory of the spotlight plummeting down from the stage roof clear in my mind. I must have looked like a mashed potato after that thing fell on me. I sincerely hoped that not too many children were standing in the golden circle of my concert, because that was the kind of thing that could scar anyone and especially a kid for life if they saw it up close.