Chapter 5: The will of Khione

Khione nudged me awake early the next morning so that he could teach me some useful magic we could employ in our rescue mission. Just a little something to give us an edge if push cane to shove.

First, he taught me some simple Light magic tricks. Things that would throw an opponent off guard, shock tactics to possibly give us some time to escape if need be.

"Imagine a ball of energy in the palm of your hand." He said as he took my hand from my lap and held it in his big warm one. With his index finger, he traced a soft circle against my skin which made my fingers twitch from the tickling sensation.

"Right here," He said looking me in my eyes.

"Try and focus your energy into a sphere, right here."

I mimicked the way I had brought my light magic to my palm the previous day, that same method of concentration I used before getting onto stage and starting to sing in a concert. Sure enough, a ball of flickering white glowing energy began to form there, however the sphere wasn't very spherical. It was pretty lopsided and it looked very unstable.

"Don't worry, that very good for a first try." I looked up to Khione to see him smiling down at me encouragingly, displaying a big toothy grin.

"Now, try and concentrate on making your ball of magic as spherical as possible..."

A snickered for a moment looking at my kidney shaped ball of light.

"The best way to do this is to try and visualise a small air bubble in the middle of your sphere and have your magic travel around that uniformly."

We sat there for what felt like forever (a bit over an hour) until I finally got a hold on my magic. The sphere was finally even and the magic was flowing in one direction. It actually looked quite beautiful in my palm, a spinning ball of twinkling light.

"Well done Joan." He grinned excitedly nudging me sideways with his shoulder. Due to his muscular build and solid body, his nudge was much more powerful than he intended, I immediately fell over from his push and consequently lost concentration of my magic. The sphere of light immediately dissipated in my palm.

I pouted, missing the feeling of my new found power. Khione snickered at my droopy lip and poked that lip with his big index finger.

"Don't be sad," he chided me, "you did so well." He grinned as I swatted his hand away.

"Thank you. But I have to say that you are a great teacher." His grin got even wider, and he cocked his head to the side confidently.

"Yes, I am a great teacher." I cringed at his self praise and then nudged him out of his self satisfied stupor so that he would continue teaching me.

From that, he taught me how to release that ball of magic in a few ways. The first method was like a stun gun flashlight. If I released the light magic in one explosive motion, a blinding white light was released which would blind people for a few minutes, which would be great for a getaway for Khione and me, if we got into trouble.

Khione also taught me how to harden that white light and make it into a dagger-like weapon. Apparently as long as my Will was strong a dagger of pure magic could cut through anything, however since it used a lot of magic, he said I could only use it for a minute or so.

He then taught me to turn that ball of light into a projectile and fire it off like an arrow at will. This technique was a bit complicated so it took me a while to master it, but I eventually got it.

After all that learning, Khione decided that it was time for a lunch break. So he got out his bag and pulled out an assortment of dried meats that we could eat. It seemed that he had spent the past few days in the forest huntin and stocking up for his next trip into Aschernsteld to try and save Zanth.